Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2021 Edition

My heavyweight clear vinyl copy of KMRU’s Logue arrived today. Another stellar pressing from the increasingly impressive Inzajero Records.

I’m trying hard not to over-hype this guy to myself, but he just has something very, very special. We often talk about it sometimes being difficult to sift out the really great records amongst the plethora of releases these days, but in KMRU I feel the world has been given a singular talent. I can’t even coherently articulate why he seems to be so good. He just is.

Ben

7 Likes

Did you read the pitchfork piece on him? He’s clearly got a really intricate approach to field recording and sound design

I didn’t - will seek it out. I’ve read lots on him but not that, but have read his musings on FR - he clearly approaches them with a musician’s perspective, rather than just pointing a mic and pressing the red button! I sometimes feel that field recordings have been interlaced into a piece because they can. With KMRU it’s almost invariably because he should.

Ben

1 Like

Trying not to buy too many records (ha ha I know) but have taken a punt on this after half a listen on bandcamp.

Thanks for all the amazing recommendations (and that counts to everyone on this thread really).

1 Like

What’s his intricate approach to field recording and sound design?

Just realised this is the guy behind Prurient.

1 Like

Yes indeed. Had myself a double header of that + the KMRU album this morning and enjoyed them both equally, which is a huge compliment to both records. Agree with all said upthread about KMRU’s emerging genius.

2 Likes

American thread pals…

PITP are having a flash sale with 11 vinyl LPs for only $11 each:

Buy stuff that the rest of us can’t afford to ship to outside of the US!

Ben

probably my most anticipated album of the year just released a first track and pre-order. absolutely lush, guitar strings and synth suite.

out through house of mythology so you know the print is gonna be lush as well

Is Peripeteia the best thing RAI has ever done?

I’m beginning to think it is. I can’t believe I spent so relatively little time with this record on release. It is absolutely extraordinary.

Ben

1 Like

ooooo this was LOVELY, as to be expected.

1 Like

Pairs really well with Solastalgia too, they almost feel like two halves of the same concept. Hope the limited cassette alternative version of Solastalgia turns up on bandcamp one day…

2 Likes

It’s got to be The Shameless Years for me, although Peripeteia is indeed brilliant. RAI is the man.

3 Likes

Found out about this from someone who’s instigating a multi-disciplinary project on the same theme. Album’s out tomorrow, and that preview track is gorgeous.

So checking this out when I’m back at my desk next week. Simon McCorry’s LP from earlier this year is still well in as a top 5 of the year for me.

2 Likes

New Loscil out today which is very exciting

and Masayoshi Fujita out also

nice way to start friday

6 Likes

This has been really nice

This is also ‘out’ and on Spotify now for anyone who’s used up their bandcamp plays…

It currently says coming soon on Juno. Has anyone pre ordered on Juno before? I’d previously done their ‘email me when released’ thing before, but this was up for pre order a few weeks back. They’ve not taken the money so I guess we’ll see. Fingers crossed as it’s such a beauty.

2 Likes

Every time i’ve used June they’ve been super quick/no problems. Feel a bit dirty using them as they feel like a bit of a monolith (i’m purely basing that on their web design/products :smiley: ) but yeah, pretty good.

2 Likes