Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2021 Edition

Agree with this. I’ve only found Juno to be pretty reliable. And they’re pretty much ASIP’s exclusive U.K. distributor, so hopefully they’re a decent bunch too…

Ben

2 Likes

This just came up on my twitter

haven’t listened but i like Norway and ambient, and it was highlighted to me as Erik K Skodvin appears on it so i imagine it’s excellent :slight_smile:

1 Like

loscil is one of the greats.

5 Likes

Wasn’t that into the Loscil album on the first couple listens

I’ve never really been into Loscil at all really, which probably makes me a terrible philistine.

No it doesn’t. The styles of music celebrated in this thread are an ever broader church, and better for it.

For my part, I love Loscil’s overall sound and production, but find him often a little too ‘gentle’ for my tastes. As such, although I have a couple of his records on vinyl, but I’m not sure when I last listened to either…

Horses for courses, like all aspects of life.

Ben
:relaxed:

Cannot say enough god things about this lp. A classic for a reason and a personal fave.

3 Likes

Everyone should hear “The Making of Grief Point” whether you’re into this genre or no.

1 Like

As said, he’s a very talented chap. I’m fond of Monument Builders, and the mesmeric looping of Plume. But I can see why some people don’t get grabbed by him. As an aside, he seems lovely in his online (Twitter) persona…!

Ben

2 Likes

Listening to this on the way home after your nudge. You’re right, it’s a fucking cracker!

Ben

1 Like

Ah brilliant! Love it when a recommendation really hits!

1 Like

In case anyone fancies watching a masterclass from Max Richter in a bit

1 Like

only just found out about this, very sad news. He really was one of the best

Never been a massive Loscil fan, but this new one has got me square in the feels today. Maybe the rain coming down after a week of heat helped. But it has been perfect today. Impulse purchase on vinyl as a result. Think it will make a great headphone listen when winter comes back around again.

You’re not alone. Most of what I’ve heard of Loscil has left me pretty non-plussed; I enjoy it when I’m listening to it but nothing ever stays with me. New one is business as usual.

1 Like

I’ve been going absolutely mad for this album lately, sort of ambient jazz stuff with field recordings and strings and a lot of just gorgeousness. Like a very stoned major key Mark Hollis sitting in a field in the middle of summer or something…

There are two others by the same quartet and they’re doing one for each season so presumably there’ll be another one too!

One of the players is M Sage who just put out his own “acoustic ambient” album on Geographic North, which is similarly beautiful:

And another one is Patrick Shirioishi, who usually does some pretty intense free jazz but also recently did this wonderful, crushing field-recording heavy EP with Claire Rousay (who’s own stuff is amazing, especially her recent record A Softer Focus, even if calling herself “the bad boy of emo-ambient” is clearly stealing my shtick).

9 Likes

Have listened to this one about three times this week. Stellar. Slightly unsettling drone with extremely high crescendos that float with a piercing quality. Fantastic sounds with these two instruments.

2 Likes

Good piece this. Lovely illustrations, too.

2 Likes

Posted this is in the new releases thread but I’m gonna mention it here as well: Debut album from Australian pianist Rose Riebl – lovely compositions with a smattering of strings here & there, and some of that same sense of fluidity that Sophie Hutchings manages to capture so well. Have the windows open to the rain and this playing and it’s beautiful.

Had another go of that Basinski album from last year, still find it really really murky. Most of his stuff is to a certain extent but think it borders on unlistenable this time out. Weird as everyone seems to love it. :man_shrugging: