Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2021 Edition

All My Circles was the first album I discovered and I’ve sort of become a bit obsessed. Definitely one of my favourite artists of the last decade.

I’d say give Let Night…a try.

I am a fan of organ dirges though…

1 Like

I think Vergers and All My Circles Run are nice places to start.
All My Circles is sort of a showcase in that each track focuses on a certain instrument - so if you’re not into say, her organ drones so much you might be more into strings or voice.

1 Like

Would love to go to this installation if I was anywhere near. Kali Malone/Lucy Railton/Stephen O’Malley.

Anyone been to or know anything about this festival (AND - Abandon Normal Devices)?

Hey, I’m near there! Will definitely check this out at the weekend

No idea about the festival as a whole, will have a read up today

1 Like

This is lovely, thanks

1 Like

What are we making of the new Alessandro Cortini LP? I might of missed the chat in the new albums thread from a few weeks ago, apologies if so, but I’m really enjoying its textured wall of sound beauty.

Maybe it’s not breaking a huge amount of ground for him, and it struggled a little to live up to the impact of the single Chiaroscuro, when that came out towards the end of the lockdown it’s timing was perfect. Still I’m finding loads to like x

2 Likes

I like it a lot, best thing he’s done since Avanti for me. I do think the muted chat might be due to the fact he’s released this in a pretty packed release schedule this month! Only had the chance to listen once or twice so far.

2 Likes

He’s one of those artists where I like some but far from all his releases so new stuff is easy to let slip by. Avanti was the last one I really liked.

1 Like

I think it’s a cracker. Chiaroscuro is probably the best track on there, but I like the record a lot.

2 Likes

Me too. I mean, Chiaroscuro is just phenomenal - could sit comfortably anywhere on a RAI record. The rest is just excellent Cortini, for me, The second half has a real OST feel to me.

Odd that there’s not a lot of love for Volume Massimo in the comments about his stuff. I really like that record. Still absolutely gutted that the Avery/Cortini event that was booked pre-pandemic never came to pass. It was going to include an AC solo A/V set in the late evening leading to various other artists and an all-night Avery-curated rave. Actually, I’m sad I even started posting this. Fuck I miss raving.

Ben

1 Like

Probably why I love it so much! :laughing:

Speaking of the two of them, I think Cortini’s album is by far the better of their new ones this month.

2 Likes

Totally agree re AC vs. DA, though I am enjoying the Daniel Avery record more with each listen. As things stand, my first night back into real life is Avery and Pangea until 5am at the beginning of August. That might be quite the return to the dancefloor…

Ben

2 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying it! I think she’s still relatively unknown and I haven’t really seen any reviews of the album crop up, so glad it’s reached another pair of ears!

Dunno if you caught this one but it’s a similar vibe to Avanti

1 Like

I haven’t. Cheers, I’ll check it out.

RECORDS OF THE FIRST HALF OF 2021

Half way through the year, gang.

Been meaning to kick this off for a few days and now am on the way to work so not in a brilliant position to compile a list!

But what about people posting their top 3-5 A/D/MC records of the half-year?

Go on! I bloody love recs from this thread!

Ben

3 Likes

Not too many discoveries likely from my favourites, as they’ve all been well covered in here, so more of an appreciation of what the thread has already helped me discover…

1. Black Swan - Repetition Hymns
  2. Elori Saxl - The Blue of Distance
  3. Illuvia - Iridescence of Clouds (it’s been discussed here so thought I’d include it)
  4. Zakè & Marine Eyes - Unfailing Love
  5. KMRU - Logue

Loads more that could be mentioned, but I’ll hold off from just rambling! x

2 Likes

Excellent start! And I have to agree with that list! The Elori Saxl record is a winner.

Keep it going, team

Ben

1 Like

I’ve included soundtracks that fit in with the modern composition category. Hope that is ok.

1. Emile Mosseri - Minari OST
  2. Lea Bertucci - A Visible Length of Light
  3. Lina Tullgren - Visiting
  4. KMRU - Logue
  5. Clint Mansell - In the Earth OST
3 Likes

It’s ALL ok! I’m just using it in a poorly veiled strategy to get more recs!

:laughing:

That Lea Bertucci record is great - interesting, as I investigated a collaborative record she also made…unlistenable!!

Ben

1 Like