Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2021 Edition

As has been said… this really is quite special… the scratch spectral beauty of it makes you want to listen over and over…

Sprung for the band camp vinyl version 50 dollars including shipping… I regret nothing…

2 Likes

Thanks @GrandMoffTarkin and @NeilYoung I’d heard the 36 & Zake album from last year but not this one, look forward to checking it out x

2 Likes

Yeah, In Four Parts is a cracker.

Ben

1 Like

Aeterna and The Sentimental Drift are both great too.

1 Like

Diving in now - dunno how long it will last with the silly toddler but the opener is resplendent. Nice to hear uplifting drone rather than the standard-issue sad-lad style (which I love obvs)

2 Likes

(I’m gonna check out Black Swan)

Made this my first (new release) buy of 2021

Only just discovered her first album - The 5th Apple - which combines spoken word with very melancholic synth sounds. Not sure what to compare it to as it shares some of those synth sounds with people like Caterina Barbieri or even in the vague ballpark of Craven Faults but I think is a lot darker in tone.

Bugger me, am I ever a sucker for a glorious, grandiose chord progression…especially with pipe organ in there.

Not suprising then that track 15 of the new Black Swan, The Space Between, is absolutely magnificent…

Gosh.

Ben

2 Likes

The Space Between is the highlight in an embarrassment of riches.

1 Like

Didn’t think much to that Craven Thoughts album from last year by the way. Just saw it got AOTY from Norman

Whaaa??!!

:grinning:

Horses for course, eh…?

Ben

And it’s Craven Faults!

Ben

No longer 2020, but Whettman Chelmetts (someone here, somewhere recommened Eli Chen from last year) has his full discography (a lot) 75% off on bandcamp, a steal if you missed that album (currently rinsing it) and want to hear more…

2 Likes

This isn’t new, but I’m listening to this based on having loved another album he did of hauntological electronic inspired by the Shin Megami Tensei games. First track is omigosh

Happy new year A/MC/D-ers! Two albums out this week that I’m enjoying this morning:

David Allred & Peter Broderick – What The Fog
Airy drones overlaid with piano & saxophone, rounded out with some more abrasive washes of static & drums towards the end. Digital album is pay-what-you-want for the next week on Bandcamp.

Wil Bolton – Cumulus Sketches
Bright, hazy soundscapes & field recordings that are a perfect antidote to the current greyness outside.

5 Likes

During lockdown the wonderful label Whitelabrecs were putting out almost weekly Home Diaries, new music from labelmates. They’ve combined it all into one compilation now. Ambient, drone, some electro acoustic in there.

4 Likes

Beautifully put together packaging there…makes me wish I listened to CDs/had a CD player!

:laughing:

Ben

1 Like

Lovely stuff, listened to the whole lot this afternoon. Might grab a CD copy.

1 Like

yeah bought the CD whitelabrecs have put out some great stuff, I forget the album but some of the stuff from Greenland was stunning

The Wil Bolton record is a stunner. Wonderful accompaniment to a solo walk yesterday afternoon. In these miserable and anxious times I find this sort of balm to be more and more of a comfort.

4 Likes