Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2022 Edition

Superb, the original is one of my favourite albums of the last few years.

2 Likes

Likewise. Pure distilled serenity.

1 Like

KMRU - Epoch

New one from Kenyan ambient field recording artist. One of my absolute favourite artists of the last few years. Pay what you want on Bandcamp.

7 Likes

First track sounded good. As does the new 36 (unsurprisingly)

1 Like

Yup, listened a couple of times yesterday. Typically excellent quality from the Boy Wonder™️

Ben

1 Like

Can’t wait for this! Written so many of my articles and essays to the first record I owe them a few hundred quid!

1 Like

Nils Frahm’s gone pretty much full ambient for his latest LP then. Gone off his stuff somewhat in the last few years but enjoying this. Hard to argue against it being a bit self-indulgent (3 hours long) but there is some truly lovely stuff in there.

Eg

Nils Frahm - World Of Squares (Official Audio) - YouTube

Clarice Jensen has reissued her first (I think first anyway) album on vinyl.

Always catches me out when I listen because it lulls you in with some polite chamber classical at the start before getting more interesting.

Shipping is always a killer on Bandcamp for me unfortunately.

2 Likes

Are we twins? I’ve been trying to resist the silver vinyl on Bandcamp Friday since the link dropped earlier this morning!

Ben

1 Like

Annoyingly I had the original pressing but lost it. No idea how it is possible to loose records but I’ve managed it somehow.

1 Like

New piece by Oli Barrett (Petrels) under the Sphagnum Moss moniker

4 Likes

Lovely crunchy propulsive stuff, I’ll be spending much of next week wandering around on Sphagnum Moss, so it might be a fitting soundtrack!

3 Likes

Ordered a purple copy from Juno, really looking forward to it arriving.

Self-promo because I’m proud of it. Gave a second outing a couple of days ago to my new live setup which is procedurally generated music based on the moves of a live game of chess. Got various sound palettes but opted for some fairly soft piano-led ambient.

In a nutshell, the opening moves determine a scale of notes and then different pieces play different instruments based on their position on the board (rank is note of the scale and file is timing within each loop). Played hopeless chess but got a nice reception to the concept and music.

8 Likes

Posted the album release in the New Releases thread, but Ben Frost has composed the soundtrack to photographer Richard Mosse’s current video installation, Broken Spectre, which is showing at 180 Strand in London until early December, and at the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne until April.

Ben Frost’s work on this film is more at the “sound design” end of the spectrum rather than an actual album per se, but it’s very effective, and the film itself is also a really beautiful, confronting, intriguing examination of the destruction of the Amazon. Definitely worth seeing – it’s £15 in London, but free if you’re in Melbourne.

Given the participants this album would technically be at home in the jazz thread, but in terms of the music I think this thread is a more natural home.

Wadada Leo Smith (trumpet) and Andrew Cyrille (drums) have a combined age of 162, but this album with relative whippersnapper Qasim Naqvi (of Dawn of Midi, on modular synth and general electronics, 45) is a very much a modern piece of music.

Smith and Cyrille are on the avant-garde end of the jazz spectrum and this album is a measured and composed suite of experimental, droney, ambient, measured pieces which I think the good people here might enjoy.

3 Likes

Taylor Deupree / Arovane collab is serene

2 Likes

Really enjoying this, reminds me quite bit of the Chicago Odense Ensemble album which probably isn’t for this thread, but is really good!

1 Like