Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2023 Edition

Just go right into the Caretaker and meet us on the other side.

1 Like

Already mentioned in the AOTW thread, but the new Galya Bisengalieva is pretty special:

3 Likes

Entirely unsurprisingly, am loving this. She’s a very clever artist.

In other exciting news, this fanboi is seeing Clarice Jensen down that London tomorrow night :raised_hands:

Can. Not. Wait.

Ben

1 Like

Good news and bad news.

1. Good news - that Clarice Jensen gig was one of the most spectacular musical experiences I’ve had. She was INCREDIBLE.

2. Bad news - Mrs Benny might be receiving divorce papers soon, as I am in love.

Ben

6 Likes

It was truly amazing I agree. Cool that Adam Wiltzie was working the mixing desk. Visuals were reminiscent of those A Winged Victory… used at their last shows.

1 Like

No way! I had no idea AW was on the desk! It was mesmerising, and from where I was sitting I couldn’t take my eyes off Clarice’s right foot. How she can use and manipulate her huge pedal board whilst still being totally immersed in her playing was something extraordinary to behold. I hung back just long enough to go over and thank her. She’s incredibly gentle and quietly spoken but was very gracious and appreciative.

The visuals were a perfect complement to her playing, and it was amazing to see her occasionally glance at them, seemingly coordinating the transition of tracks with the evolving images. The massive drone track mid-set was one of my favourite musical moments for a long, long time, and the encore track written with the late Jóhann Jóhannsson was as plaintively beautiful live as it is on record. As a mediocre cellist in my youth, I never realised one could play so cleanly that far up the A string!

Stunning.

Ben

2 Likes

Haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere else but got this on at the moment and it’s great.

3 Likes

His Green lp is lovely also. Look forward to hearing this one

Posted a review of the album launch in the Last night’s gig thread, but this is great: live improvised guitar loops and electronics, field recordings, hypnotic Frisian spoken word and wordless female vocals.

Also recommend their previous album from 2017, it’s probably one of my favourite drone-y ambient albums of all time.

2 Likes

Absolutely loving both of these - had never even heard of them before your post, so thank you so much!

Ben

1 Like

Exciting news, our joint number 3 ambient album of 2018 ( :ok_hand: Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2019 Edition) Midnight Colours by Rafael Anton Irisarri, is getting re-released next year, this time on vinyl. Pretty excited by this as I passed on the cassette for the obvious reason of not being able to play it!

1 Like

New album of loops from 36:

I can’t play either vinyl or cassette so I always go for cassette now. Takes up less room :joy:

Sounds good

1 Like

As expected given the excellent preview tracks, the new Claire M Singer record is a doozy. This record still contains her customary, gloriously euphoric slabs of organ drone and emotive chord sequences, but also has more of a field recording and ambient feel on some of the tracks. Destined to be in my top 10 of the year, and in the shortlist for the top spot. Am trying to contain vinyl urges, but sad that this one didn’t get a vinyl release…

Ben

2 Likes

me too. absolutely loving this. epic.

1 Like

New Biosphere incoming, sounding real nice.

4 Likes

New Áine O’Dwyer:

These three tapes, recorded between 2019 and 2023, capture an array of post-collagist techniques, in which splicing, over-dubbing, and dissolving are performed live, and O’Dwyer’s subtle compositions for found-tune piano and synthesizer blend seamlessly with the environment, keeping true to her belief that listening is “both an instrument and a compositional element” in her work.

1 Like

Did you go to this? I went as a result of spotting your post (I dip into this thread a lot for recommendations - thanks everyone who actively posts here! - but I’m not on top of the genre enough to post myself really), and loved it, so just wanted to say thanks, as I wouldn’t have known about it otherwise!

1 Like

I did! If you saw someone with pinkish hair and an ‘AMBIENT OWL CORE’ (Kayla Painter) t-shirt on, that was me :slight_smile:

Got there quite early and found myself a beanbag in the centre-back to flop on for the duration, which was way more relaxing than my usual trips to London. Nice setting all-round, and it sounded great in the old bathhouse - I found the whole experience really immersive and the whole thing flew past. Imaginary Softwoods was my highlight, but Loula Yorke and Ana Quiroga’s sets were also fab, and the DJ playing in between (Ali Wade) threaded everything together nicely.

Will definitely look out for more Bleep43 events on the basis of that one. Glad you had a good time too!

1 Like