Rolling Ambient/Modern Composition/Drone Thread 2023 Edition

Loved this. Layered field recordings with subtle tones and digital manipulation, essentially. Highly recommend giving the blurb a read and having a listen. Oceanic in particular had me utterly cocooned.

1 Like

:eyes::man_dancing:

Ariel Kalma, Jeremiah Chiu & Marta Sofia Honer - The Closest Thing to Silence. Not out until February but one track available now.

6 Likes

Recording of a Sarah Davachi performance from Vancouver New Music festival:

(sound cuts out for 20 seconds or so around the 8 minute mark)

Lots of other stuff on their channel that should interest people here, e.g. a loscil + Lawrence English concert.

2 Likes

Reminds me a bit of Martyna Basta. More instrumental less field recordings but very nice electroacoustic stuff

Wish I had the money to just be able to go to things like this

2 Likes
3 Likes

KMRU’s entire Bandcamp canon is ‘Name your price’ today…

Ben

3 Likes

Any recs benny?

1 Like

Peel is magnificent. For me it’s the ‘best’ and most complete representation of what he does. It’s a great record.

His Longform Editions piece, Imperceptible Perceptible, is excellent.

This year’s Dissolution Grip is ace too.

But the boy can pretty much do no wrong!

Ben
:smiling_face:

4 Likes

Ah yes, I’ve been enjoying Dissolution Grip (on your rec?) so wondered whether to go next! Thank you!

1 Like

Listening to Peel on the way home after your prompt. What a record! Opening track alone is worth the investment. Looping, droning, mesmeric wonderment!

Ben

2 Likes

Almost can’t listen to it because it brings me back to stressful long nights during lockdown with a newborn. But it’s up there with The Disintegration Loops for me as an all-timer ambient record. Deceptively simple but everything is in the right place at the right time with the right sound

2 Likes

ALBUM OF THE YEAR POLL

May as well get this going.

Same rules as the main polling thread - 5 points for 1st, 4 for 2nd etc.

Will run through December and announce the winner on New Year’s Day.

:trophy: Happy Voting! :trophy:

4 Likes

Sad I missed this

I was literally just thinking that i should post about this! Thanks so much, as ever @Mr.Lady.

Ben

However, as ever, I’m going to struggle to rank again. Just can’t do it!

Ben

Craven Faults/ Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan

• Should be included in this end of year reckoning
  • Don’t really fall within the remit of this thread and should not be included
0 voters

I am no more than a fellow passenger on this ship, and so the arbiter of nothing. However, for my tuppence, I’d say that both artists, whilst excellent and popular with many in this parish, are electronica/folktronica and so slightly muddy the (already muddy!) genre waters. But I’m also no fan of ‘censorship’, so I don’t feel that strongly about it! Happy for the masses to decide in this rare, genuine democracy.

Ben

1 Like

Ok here’s my aoty picks:

1. Claire M Singer - Saor
  2. Natalia Beylis & Eimear Reidy - She Came in Through the Window to Stand by the Door
  3. Maria W Horn & Mats Erlandsson - Celestial Shores
  4. Kali Malone - Does Spring Hide its Joy
  5. Colleen - Le Jour et la Nuit du Reel
5 Likes
  1. Dobrawa Czocher - Dreamscapes

2. Hollie Kenniff - We All Have Places That We Miss

3. Ekin Fil - Rosewood Untitled

4. Hilary Woods - Acts of Light

5. Faten Kanaan - Afterpoem

5 Likes