Rolling Australian Music Thread 🇦🇺

Paul Kelly

The Godfather. Changed the way I thought about Australian music so much:

Courtney Barnett

Likely no intro necessary

3 Likes

The Goon Sax

Indie pop from Brisbane. Contains child of Go-Between. Reckon this is one of the best albums of the last ten years tbh:

3 Likes

Peter Bibby

Reckon he could only come from Australia:

Flowertruck

Dreamy woozy Aussie indie from NSW:

This is definitely enough to get started.

Not a singles guy per way of genre. But Lawrence English has been putting out wonderful experimental, ambient, drone, field recording albums for a awhile now.

1 Like

Loved Plaster of Paris’s Lost Familiar so much I bought the red vinyl

Great album, very Sleater-Kinney adjacent.

Spotify link

1 Like

King Stingray

Ok, one more - a mesh of indie, pop and Aboriginal Australian music. Absolutely fucking bangs and is just great all round:

1 Like

Divide and Dissolve’s Gas Lit narrowly missed my top 10 of last year also

I know they’ve been brought up a fair bit on here though so probably already heard by those that should.

3 Likes

Was not aware of these or Plaster of Paris!

1 Like

Where should I start?

Do you like drone? :laughing: I always have to ask as precursor as it’s one of my favorite genres and realize its an acquired taste, but this is probably my favorite of his. Veers a little on the noise drone to start but cascades into wonderful dark ambiance to close.

2 Likes

I am always looking to push my boundaries! Will give a whirl.

2 Likes

Impossible to imagine how you came to know about this band :thinking: :wink:

1 Like
1 Like

Obviously Confidence Man

5 Likes

We lost the sea.

Fantastic post rock band. Departure songs is a tribute to the Challenger disaster.
This is the last track on the album, Reagan’s speach gives me goosebumps every time.

2 Likes

Realised as I got to the end of this video that it seems a lot cleverer than it looks. I can’t see the normal sneaky ways they stitch stuff together to make a ‘one shot’ but I guess they can do it digitally very easily now. Still, must have taken a fair bit of storyboarding because all those points where it ‘judders’ with the music would need to be accounted for in order to start the next take in the right place for the miming to match the vocals.

2 Likes

Wot no Luluc?

Saw them supporting J Mascis a few years back, fell hard for them.

1 Like