Rolling Brand New Thread

On it now pal. Recognise Sic Transit Gloria from various nights out

Funny listening to this album now for the first time. Ticks off so many emo tropes that it feels really contrived and dated, but they actually did it first?

It’s very of-it’s-time (less so than Your Favourite Weapon though). Do think it’s got more about it than it’s contemporaries though especially towards the back end. Good to Know That If I Ever Need Attention All I Have to Do Is Die is fucking brilliant once you look past it’s title and it comes at the end of another brilliant three-track-run IMO.

1 Like

when I was a kid I knocked it back from it’s endless fucking plays on MTV2, but when I went back around the release of TDAGARIM it blew my tiny little mind beyond belief. similarly when I went back a relistened to the Deftones stuff I’d confined to the same bin as a whole host of dogshit back then.

I never expected to be listening to it 15 years later.

3 Likes

Do Devil and God next!

1 Like

Then do Daisy after that!

1 Like

…and prepare to be hugely disappointed! especially if you’d had any appreciation for the quality of their lyrics!

Oh boy, I’m starting to dislike Owen purely as a result of his connection to you and Owen is an extremely nice man… safetywink

2 Likes

Daisy is great, you pricks.

11 Likes

oh god boy who blocked his own shot just came on spotify :cry:

2 Likes

You could say this about literally any band or artist

Well yeah, obviously. I think not having the nostalgia is more of a barrier for entry with Brand New than other bands I love though innit.

earnest music is easy to write off, I guess

Yup, one of the most underrated qualities in music IMO, give me earnest but a bit cringeworthy over cool and aloof literally any day of the week.

4 Likes

think it depends on the band, but I know what you are saying

1 Like

Hey, I was close!

2 Likes

I guess they couldn’t really give it above 8.5. Glad it got BNM though.

Keep going back to ‘In The Water’. Genius song.

4 Likes

Yes! Absolutely one of my favourites too!

1 Like

Interestingly, the Kerrang! article you linked to was written by someone who discovered Brand new about a year after Daisy was released

1 Like