Rolling Brand New Thread

Kevin Devine has pulled out

https://twitter.com/kevindevinetwit/status/929761098240286720

Guessing there’ll be a formal cancellation in the morning.

What a fucking mess. I just hope the gig is cancelled now. In the face of these really dark allegations, I can’t fathom how I could listen to them in the same way again, if at all.

3 Likes

I tried to listen to some Kevin Devine earlier but even Jesse’s backing vocals on a couple of tracks made me uncomfortable.

On another note, can anyone recommend anything in particular to do/see Saturday afternoon and evening? We have non-refundable train and hotel bookings so fuck it we’re coming to London anyway but would like to make it somewhat worthwhile

i really hate how these guys often have a well-considered and very articulate line of defence as soon as they’re outed, but seem to have made very little strides towards reconciling victims for past actions or resolving anything in private. you get called out, and at best you write a statement full of self-awarness and humility. i’m sure there’s stuff we don’t know etc etc. makes me feel sick

Yeah same here, I was originally wondering about selling my tickets (although I think the gig could be pulled anyway) but I don’t really want to take money from someone who would want to go to this gig after all this has come out. Just gonna enjoy a weekend in London. It would be great if Martha put on a show themselves but I imagine it would be difficult to do something on short notice.

Fuck. I took an internet break for a week and this was the first thing I saw when I came back on :frowning:

This is horrible. I wish all the best for the victims and their healing process. :fist:

It doesn’t seem surprising in retrospect when you listen BN lyrics that we thought were darkly self deprecating and now seem sinister and predatory. Also definately reminded of this well-known Jessica Hopper article from 2003 which encapsulated the misogyny of the scene in the early 00’s. Rookie » Where the Girls Aren't

Fuck Jesse and fuck the reddit fanboys defending him

Still trying to process it all. One of my all time favourite bands.

Basically; fuck him, fuck the band for thinking that statement is in anyway ok and carrying on like everything’s cool. Poor lassie who has gone through all that, I’m sure she feels absolutely no comfort or resolution from Jesse’s statement, if anything it must be even harder to see him play the victim and blame it on sex addiction. I’m sure he’s abused many more, but if she’s the only one it’s still disgusting.

I’ve had to stop reading comments. Far too many people giving it the “as if you’ve never made mistakes” pish. No time for it.

Rotten. Fuck him.

7 Likes
1 Like

Postponed is interesting. A poor choice of word IMO. Implies they think it will all blow over.

Bit relieved as have to be honest I was wavering on whether I wouldn’t go. Selfish, hypocritical.

3 Likes

I thought so too, like “we’ll give the fans a bit of time, then when everyone’s forgotten about this whole debacle we’ll have a hero’s return”. Nope.

1 Like

Harsh, but absolutely spot on.

Agreed. I’ll absolutely be taking the refund option.

4 Likes

I listened to Science Fiction for the last time this morning. Was a very different listening experience.

2 Likes

yeah I’mnot sure I cango back to it… and I had just listed it as my third favourite record of the year

I think given the victim’s pain, it’s about right

2 Likes

Drove up to Loch Lomond on Friday and listened to the album on the way up (didn’t have enough time to finish it, missed the last track), then heard the news on Friday night… feels very weird. I don’t want to go back to it. Was my favourite album this year too.

I totally agree. Sorry, that might not have been the right word I guess.

2 Likes

Totally - I was readying to rinse their back catalogue this week in anticipation of seeing them for the first time on Sunday.

1 Like

it’s ok, it’s a weird and disappointing time for many people, just the victim(s) should not be forgotten