Rolling Brand New Thread

The preview text of their wikipedia page lists them as a “was” instead of an “is”. Could be it’s all over, I mean, surely it will be?

Definitely

I hope so.

They seemed to have their perfect ending planned, riding off into the sunset after a perfect run of albums and “stay 18 forever” and it was almost within reach. I’m glad he’s had the ending spoiled for him. After all he’s done, they don’t deserve that legacy.

7 Likes

Didn’t one of the women work for Alternative Press? I remember listening to their podcast yeeeeeeeaaaaaars ago (maybe in excess of 10 years) where they would allude to their hatred of Brand New, but it seemed to be about their being aloof and perceived to be arrogant. I’m sure they used to say stuff like, “if we get enough requests we’ll tell you some stories regarding them”. I wonder if they knew all along?

Emily Driscoll (spelling?) released her screen shots years ago but she’s an adult in them so I don’t think anyone dug deeper.

Glasgow and Dublin now officially cancelled, not postponed.

Feel no real sympathy but, as with Ian Watkins, I am intrigued by how hard a fall like this must feel. We’ve all made mistakes in our time and had that feeling of ‘the world hates me’, but what must it be like when that’s actually true? And when you’re coming down from being idolised to being reviled?

These overnight changes in fortune seem like a new phenomenon (to me at least).

1 Like

I’d have thought the difference here would be that Jesse Lacey has (allegedly) recognised his issues and been seeking professional help for a number of years (he’s been married 4 and I think his statement inferred he’d been in some kind of treatment since before he got married). You’d have thought that therapy would have touched on what would happen if it all came out publicly or at least he now has the necessary support systems in place. I did wonder though as he suggests he’s been receiving help for his ‘addiction’ if it’s a 12 step type thing I thought one of those was making amends to all those who had been affected and yet there’s no real suggestion he’s reached out to the women, from what’s come out so far anyway.

Quite frankly couldn’t give a flying fuck how Ian Watkins feels about anything, absolute scum of the earth that he is. Hope he suffers horribly, daily.

5 Likes

So err. Whatcha all doing tonight? We’re still heading to London. Staying near Old Street so recommendations welcome. I am neither hip nor beardy enough to know my way around Shoreditch.

Dinerama’s good if you’re looking for food and drink. Think it’s still free entry if you get there before 6. If you’re feeling flush maybe try queuing for a table at Nightjar, I imagine it’ll be rammed with reservations this late in the day mind.

1 Like

We spotted Dinerama and thought it looked worth a visit! If we don’t get last minute show tickets will head there and not think about the dent in the bank balance.

Yeah it’s best to go with it and let your nose make the decisions rather than your head.

2 Likes

i used to go to nightjar sometimes as my band’s rehearsal space used to be right next to it, love that spot though it’s very weird

1 Like

Very nondescript innit. Not too overbearingly twee in the speakeasy aspect either.

1 Like

Yeah, its weird how non-gimmicky it is considering it really could be, there aren’t many LDN spots like that

1 Like

Really lovely pub called the Old Fountain just off Old Street if you want a decent pint.

2 Likes

Backed!

1 Like

Cheers all.

https://twitter.com/GeoffRickly/status/931707837301997569

https://twitter.com/GeoffRickly/status/931709716807352320

Interesting from Geoff Rickly. No doubting a lot of those bands were pretty seething towards women in those days. Glassjaw, BN and Fall Out Boy come to mind especially.

I’ve been wondering when a Jesse Lacey suicide is going to pop up on my news alerts.

Christ, hopefully not. That to me would make the whole thing a thousand times more awful. For him, his family and his victims.

It’s an interesting question, though. For people like Lacey or Louie C.K., their job is their art. Are they forced to quit by this? No doubt both will have artistic responses to the crisis (whether we ever see them or not is of course a different matter. Should we? Do we want to?)

I wonder what the use of these people is? Should they be wedged under a rock or should something be dredged from this mess? And in the same token that no one at all owes them forgiveness, is the same true that certain members of their fan base don’t owe them condemnation?

All hypothetical, from someone who certainly for the moment cannot go back to their output…