Rolling Dance Mongrel 2.016

In what might very well be a futile attempt to revive this thread, which DJs do we like these days? My commuting music has always been thumpedy thump Berlin/Detroit techno, but when I’ve been out recently I’ve tended to find that that sort of stuff gets a bit dull quite quickly and I’d rather listen to something that’s more readily danceable/a bit more varied. Really enjoyed seeing Lakuti, Tama Sumo and Mister Saturday Night recently(which I’d thoroughly recommend; it has a certain My First Clubnight feel to it but their selections are great), also finally saw Ben UFO last weekend which pretty much blew the roof off my world.

What about you? Mixes very welcome.

Have also found myself a bit bored of big name Detroit techno/Chicago house DJs on nights out recently (though not so much the Berghain/Panorama lot which I still get down to). One guy that always brings it though is Robert Hood. Caught Anthony Shakir the other week expecting something on a similar level and it just didn’t quite do it for me. Was travelling during the summer so didn’t see many sets, but returned to see Paul Woolford and it be painfully average pre-programmed tech house stuff. Up and comers this year I enjoyed included Palms Trax, Call Super, Kemal and Dr. Rubinstein (check the RA Mix). Normally it takes a few years for me to go from “yeah they were pretty good” to really loving a DJ though, so predictably loads of my favourites are still mainstays like Blawan, Ben UFO, Floating Points, Shackleton etc.who have brought the heat on many occassions.

not really sure tbh

Perc and Paula Temple are usually reliably brilliant. I prefer the harsher, more industrial DJ’s probably.

I tend to veer away from functional techno when I’m listening at home, it just doesn’t really have the same appeal as when you’re in a club. I thought that interview with Objekt was pretty interesting where he said that he rarely listens to techno outside of the clubs, which I think makes sense. If I’m going to listen to techno/electronic music then there needs to be a bit more going on- Levon Vincent, DJ Richard, etc.

Also, I was thinking about this last night and for pretty much any shows I find it really hard to remember them. Even some of my favourite gigs, like MBV or Kraftwerk I can only remember little snippets. For club nights it’s even harder because of, ahem, external factors.

1 Like

Levon and DJ Richard do reliably great sets too :slight_smile:

Been enjoying more house nights recently:
MCDE, Max Graef, Move D, Prins Thomas, Gerd Janson to name a few recent ace nights out.
Got Feel My Bicep in Brum to look forward to in a few weeks.

Other faves:
Surgeon - consistently excellent
Really loved Karenn everytime I’ve seen them
Octave One live set in a similar vein to Karenn is awesome too.
Ostgut Ton mob are always great.
Omar-S - always top drawer

Sub-sub thread, DJs you’d most like to see but haven’t?

Peter Van Hoesen - seen him DJ but would love to see his analogue live set. The 3+ hour mix from a couple of years ago is brill.

Prince of Denmark/Traumprinz/DJ Metatron - rarely DJs out but love all his records and mixes

DJ Richard was playing at an Awesome Tapes for Africa night, was really tempted to go but didn’t in the end

Saw Levon a few months ago and he was fab

2 Likes

Donato Dozzy is still top of my unseen list, as well as Sprinkles. Out of the newer crop of DJs, I’d like to see Willow now she’s popping up a lot, but not got high expectations. Still not seen Villalobos, but I expect him to pull some hands-up-in-the-air-like-you-just-don’t-care shit, so unless I was sure he’d bring his A game I don’t know if I’d bother. Mostly I feel like I’m going to the same Chicago/Detroit/Berlin DJs every year though (cos the clubs round here keep booking em)

Also, I know Bicep are darlings of the shuffle crowd, but they put on some of the most fun sets around <3

1 Like

Saw him close out at Primavera and it was absolutely banging

1 Like

I haven’t seen any of the big hitters like Robert Hood or Jeff Mills. Probably because they’re on bigger line ups? Dunno.

Autechre would be great

Smaller ones: Tzusing, Abdulla Rashim, Donato Dozzy are on my ones to watch list

Hood is a must. He absolutely slayed the place with this when I saw him earlier in they year

1 Like

Good question. I tend similarly towards the serious :grin: techno and I don’t think I’d ever get tired of a Jeff Mills night or whatever. However, I’ve seen Ame 2 or 3 times in the past year and they’ve been consistently great. A lot more housey than I’d normally go for but some great dynamic sets with cool use of hiphop and all sorts of stuff with vocals on!!1!

Missed Levon Vincent earlier this year, which I was annoyed about, but did see yer man Dozzy at the end of last year. Basically doing a Voices from the Lake set, which was pretty special.

Saw DD at Bloc (2015), he played a really tight 2-3 set quite early on. Would like to see him again but later in the night.

I feel like I missed the boat with Villalobos, didn’t see him in his prime and now not sure if I’d want to really

1 Like

As littlebirds said, Hood is absolutely essential. Only seen him once but it was one of the best sets I’ve experienced.

Mills also brilliant.

1 Like

Feel exactly the same with Ricky V. Think he probably does still play some good sets though as opposed to, say, Richie Hawtin :sob:

1 Like

Been to some great nights recently. Like others above I usually prefer the harder end of techno but a few house oriented nights have been surprisingly good fun too: Kyle Hall, Leon Vynehall, Marcellus Pittman and Maya Jane Coles spring to mind.

I’m in Sheffield so we tend to get a lot of well-established DJs playing, had fun recently seeing people like Daniel Avery, Helena Hauff, Lee Gamble and James Ruskin. Jay Clarke, Bjarki, Kobosil and Alex Smoke have all been pretty great too. Matrixxman’s closing set last weekend was probably the most relentless thumpy techno I’ve heard all year actually, so good.

Was fairly disappointed with Floating Points earlier in the year though. He played a six-hour set and I just couldn’t get into it, felt a little clunky at times too. Real shame as I’ve seen him a few times before with shorter sets and loved it, and his live band show is incredible.

DJs I’d most like to see but haven’t yet:

Ostgut gang: Ryan Elliott, Ben Klock, Terence Fixmer, Function, Etapp Kyle main ones I keep an eye out for.
Objekt - loved everything he’s done but missed three of his shows now :frowning:
Surgeon - another I keep missing
Actress
Giegling crew, yet to catch any of them either

1 Like

I really want to like Helena Hauff as I’m into that whole EBM, gothy, industrial thing but I just find her music a bit monotonous. Saw her at Corsica Studios and it was very repetitive. I think it was more of her own live set so maybe she’s a bit more interesting playing other people’s stuff.

SUBTHREAD:

Bit social board this, but do you any of you go out with your partners? How do you find it?

I only ask 'cos it wasn’t that much fun to go out with my ex, but perhaps that’s cause we were a bit dysfunctional as a couple.

yep, my gf is my main clubbing buddy. Absolutely great. Occasionally other mates join us as well but generally just the 2 of us. She’s great, always has a good time and always up for staying out - I don’t have to worry that she isn’t enjoying herself or she might want to bail at 2/3am but I want to stay til the end. All in all it works well. What was the issue with your ex?

She pretty much got me into clubbing: her coming from a techno background going out in her youth to see people like Dave Clarke, Phil Keiran, Laurent Garnier etc. whereas I never went proper clubbing at all in my teens. I was more a bedroom listener of people like Carl Craig, Four Tet, Theo Parrish etc. never really thought of going to see them in a club though as none of my mates were that into it at the time.

Fast forward to now and I’m the one dragging her to nights of people she’s never heard of.