Rolling Descent into Fascism Thread [chat away]

Oh my Fucking god.

https://twitter.com/JosieLong/status/794334298291716100

Christ, that’s one of the most worrying things I’ve seen yet. Having a bunch of idiots say remainers are guilty of treason and should be locking in the tower is one thing cos it’s just so nonsensical but to call out people exercising the democratic law of the country as enemies of the state is terrifying.

1 Like

One of my best mates is from Manchester. She was on a train recently and went to the loo, when she got back to her seat her bag was gone. She asked around the people who were sat near her and one said the police had take it, sure enough after a few minutes a policeman brought her bag over. Apparently they’d searched it as someone said it seemed suspicious (small Accessorize backpack with butterflies on it) and reported it. She said the police looked really sheepish when they returned it to her as there was obviously nothing weird inside it, and told her not to leave her bag unattended “in case someone wanted to nick her phone charger”

Oh yeah, her parents are Bangladeshi but I’m sure that had nothing to do with it

7 Likes

That horrendous case of the driver killing two families was a British Lorry driver doing exactly that.

Nuff said

if I left a bag unattended for 5 minutes I would expect it to get nicked

1 Like

On a train with lots of witnesses around?

yeah

5 Likes

OK, well I wouldn’t, not really the point of the racial profiling anecdote though

1 Like

agreed

1 Like

But what if you’re on a long train journey and need to go to the toilet? I always just leave my bags on the seat and rack and expect the people nearby to keep an eye on it like I would do for them.

suitcase / big bag - probably safe enough
small bag - would expect it to get nicked

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

On remembrance sunday, BBC invites a person legally certified a fascist and then procedes to offer a grilling that wouldn’t toast a panini let alone a politician.

It’s all a bit odd, though, isn’t it? I mean we now live in an age where the terrorists who bomb people in the vast majority of cases ideologically stay with their bags and get blown up.

Or else if they’re “unattended bag” type bombers they tend to pick things like gay bars and the like where you can actually do a better job of screening and checking, I would think?

I’m not disputing your police thing just pointing out how out of tune with most of what we’re told to fear the ‘unattended’ bag is. Very much a legacy of the IRA period in this country, no?

Trump’s new Chief Strategist

“we have created the tools for repression”

‘Extreme surveillance’ becomes UK law with barely a whimper

Also quick No Chat update: lets hold off on any of the American stuff for a while unless it directly affects the UK. Otherwise this thread will get madly out of control

oh, re: trump, farage etc and fascism: anyone read this?: