Rolling Descent into Fascism Thread [chat away]

greeting this with shock and disbelief

https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/status/1049931763118686209

Yes all those anarchists in the republican party.

2 Likes

I don’t get this ruling. No one thinks a message on a cake is coming from the shop the cake was brought from. When I get a cake saying ‘Happy Birthday Eltham’ I don’t fucking ring Greggs and thank them.

3 Likes

And it breaks their heart every single time.

16 Likes

Obviously this is bad…but when I first saw the photograph, my actual fear was that no one would call this out and it would just seem “normal”. I guess that’s a damning indictment of the state we’re in

1 Like

Selfish.

3 Likes

I like to bake them some cookies or something to say thanks

Not for the first time…I’m.asking myself (and DiS) if its a good idea to challenge Tommy Robinson fans on Facebook

Oh man

Couldn’t think of where to put this or whether it deserved its own thread, hope here is appropriate.

Natural History Museum are hosting an event tonight for the Saudi Embassy, saying ‘it’s an important source of funding’. Absolutely appalling they’d take this stance and prioritise earning a few thousand quid.

This is just a few months after the Design Museum hosted an arms fair which led to dozens of artists removing their work from a current exhibition (NHM have apparently hosted weapons fairs too, about 6 years ago).

https://twitter.com/mattuthompson/status/1050319683503702016

Moral ‘outrages’ like this can fuck off.

It’s the Saudi Embassy. They represent a country, not just the arms dealing members of it. If Matthew Thompson wants to be racist, that’s down to him. Would he be in a snit if it were the Israeli Embassy, or the French, or the Papua New Guineans?

The National History Museum have the right to drum up funds anyhow they like.

The Natural History Museum is a publicly funded body.

I think the public has every right to object if the representatives of a human rights abusing country are entertained in such a place.

9 Likes

That is run as a personal fiefdom of a family that is currently blowing children in Yemen to bits daily, as well as luring dissidents to overseas consulates so they can be conveniently dismembered.

4 Likes

Disagree that they should be free to raise money from whoever. This thread sums it up pretty well:

https://twitter.com/thegarrard/status/1050380348444631041?s=21

I always get my blood boiling at this sort of thing because its trying to coerce others into doing what you may want rather than taking responsibility for it yourself.

If, for example, you don’t like Saudi Arabia, do something yourself, picket their Embassy. It’s not the job of the Natural History Museum to fight your battles for you.

I’m old enough to remember the Government of the day trying to stop athletes participating in the Moscow Olympics. The argument against that was that it was down to the Government to take a stand. Bullying the athletes was the cheap option.

And protesting the NHM is the cheap option here.

my pal’s dad is director of the NHM, might see if he’d be up for a grilling on here.

3 Likes

So you don’t agree with boycotts then? Of protesting against businesses that take money from regimes with appalling human rights abuses? Are they not people fighting their own battles?

Would you be telling anti-apartheid protestors to stop campaigning against arms companies and to protest at the South African embassy instead?

It’s not a zero sum game. It is possible to protest in more than one way, and it is often the most effective way to build social pressure to push back against institutions and multinationals who do business with those who break international law. These institutions lend legitimacy and normalcy to those who commit crimes by dealing with them.

Calling for them to hold a higher standard than rock bottom is a worthwhile, and necessary, measure.

8 Likes

Jeff Mangum?

9 Likes

I don’t agree that his grandmother could hit a cricket ball with a stick of rhubarb.

1 Like