Rolling Descent into Fascism Thread [chat away]

AMEN. I love Lily Lynch so much… she’s a breath of fresh air in the centrist dad world of international correspondents. She’s sceptical of everyone and calls out creeps and correspondents/‘experts’ who are reliant on assumptions and generalisations from a distance. Also Balkanist were helpful with providing contacts when I was researching my BBC interview pitch.

1 Like

Lily Lynch is cool af tbh. Also, I like how she’s a reporter in what I think of as that eXiled/Hunter S. Thompson punk rock style, and her name makes her sound like the frontwoman of a punk rock band.

2 Likes

Hahaha. So shameless.

Heaton-Harris is one of the MPs who have been most vocal in saying that the government shouldn’t release the Brexit impact assessments, too. Very open and vigorous.

Surprised this hasn’t been posted yet

They really would bring back death squads if they could couldn’t they.

It’s in the Brexit thread tbf…

1 Like

literally Fake News

incredible.

1 Like

Did you see this?

https://twitter.com/alisonphipps/status/923306647505833984

What the fuck.

White author

Black writer

French design

British engineering

Race to the bottom:

Fake food!

Also, “Ten metal boxes of a similar size to a shipping container” seems like an unnecessarily long-winded way of describing what are, according to that photo, portacabins.

3 Likes

As well as exploiting the chefs, they’re ripping the customers off. I mean Deliveroo’s marketing thing is that they deliver food from fancier restaurants that don’t normally do takeaway. Not “similar food cooked in a portacabin in a carpark somewhere”. Do these portacabins even have proper toilets and hygiene facilities? What about a proper pot wash?

I, for one, am utterly shocked that this kind of thing goes on. Gonna avoid this whole problem by getting Uber rides to the actual restaurants from now on. No tips, though, obviously, seeing as I will have done all the hard work by going in a taxi to them, where they actually cook the food.

You should probably charge them for the charm of your company and honour of your patronage, as an Influencer. Probably via some kind of app.

Silicon Valley startups really hate workers rights, eh?

Oddly enough, I was talking to someone the other day who was trying to describe a portacabin as ‘sort of like a shipping container but made into an office’

To be honest, I’ve got less of an issue with shipping containers being used for this than them being used to house homeless people rather than providing decent housing:

Well… if TripAdvisor and Yelp (is that still a thing?) are willing to pay for reviews then I might damn well start writing some #content

I remembered there was a similar scheme in Brighton and I googled to find out what had happened to it, and found this :frowning:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40439049.html

Found it- it’s been there for a couple of years now. How many holiday homes are there in Brighton?

“The average for a one bedroom studio flat in Brighton is now £971 while we are charging £612" :frowning: