Rolling Descent into Fascism Thread [chat away]

the Urban population in France is greater than 80% of the population as a whole though

which is roughly the same as the UK but

I dunno
Mrs BITT is working in Paris this week and all our French friends there are fairly convinced that the head-to-head will stop Le Pen (like it stopped her dad in 2002 when we lived there) but either way they all say that the last 3 Presidents between them have managed to fuck everything so badly that there would hardly be a noticeable difference

which is frighteningly Brexit

still trying to be optimistic though as I remember the alarm in 2002 after the first round of voting resulting in an eventual 83-17 victory for Chirac despite Chirac being roundly despised

1 Like

it’s my main hope too

the caveat being that Chirac - being the experienced elder statesman - was a no-brainer against Le Pen senior
Macron might not be such an obvious white knight in this instance

is it right that his economic positions are very “more of the same” a la clinton.

Macron?
From what I know he’s a bit of a slick technocrat who wants a generation of French Elon Musks & Steve Jobss to step up & that he’s definitely on Israel’s side & not on Palestine’s but obviously nowhere near as fundamentally anti-arab as Le Pen (or even Sarkozy). So I guess quite Clintony in that laissez-faire (actual) centrist way

he does give me a bit of a Blairite wolf-in-sheeps-clothing vibe though - that secular, militantly ‘fair and evidence based’ mind that you know is gonna run up against some unshiftable core prejudice at some point

1 Like

Yeah, he seems sound but he also seems like someone who could say ‘Non!’ very firmly & mean it

he also seems to have a neoliberal rather than a humanitarian approach to immigration though; ie ‘it’s good for the economy’ which is not ideal but might just be the best sell tactic I dunno

he seems quite keen on EU wide tax & wage integration as well (to answer @anon30627475 a bit better - he did mention economic position) which could be absolutely great …or could equally be absolute poison.

Maybe the idea of an EU imposed minimum wage is what has May running for the hills (though I doubt it would be set higher than current UK min wage)

1 Like

outright perverting democracy, really. dunno if it’s strictly fascism but it’s a definite attempt to control public opinion of her government’s shady, slack as fuck handling of the nhs crisis and reshape an unflattering situation to their advantage. brittle authoritarian cunts. imagine the lies and distortions still to come in the eu exit if this is how they handle a local government matter.

1 Like

There’s already some trutherism going on about those texts - the screenshots are from the same time but the level of signal changes! What’s the deal!?!?!?!?!?

The look on Sajid Javid’s face when Corbyn read them out tells you all you need to know.

level of signal constantly changes in some places.

Isn’t it well known that it’s not really a true signal reading and just a sort arbitrary value based on several factors? I’m sure QI talked about this. @marckee ?

???

I have no idea

A rare situation.

2 Likes

so near, so theo

1 Like

This really is the epitome of shithousery brexit tory britain. Well, until the next thing. Shameful what’s going on at the moment.

just been to the shops, only just spotted today’s Daily Mail front page on Bercow

really hope farage gets publicly punched in the face soon

3 Likes

Not good news exactly but i’ll take what we can get right now

8 Likes

Saw this earlier and thought, why not delete everything from ‘of’ to ‘by’? At least that would be accurate. Letts is vile.

Also, who still has premium bonds? Only people I can think of are my Daily Mail reading, ex-pat grandpar… ah.

Read that Letts piece for some reason and now feel poisoned

WTAF