Rolling DIY & home improvements thread

very very impressed at how much you’ve managed to do in such a short space of time

our lounge was skimmed today. flooring was meant to be delivered as well, but fucking hell, b&q fucked that right up. twats.

1 Like

Much, MUCH better.

The second room, in particular, works very well.

1 Like

Did you see we’ve got a yellow room? :wink:

B&Q were one of the better ones we dealt with. Got an ongoing issue with IKEA and an ongoing issue with Homebase too. Both fucked up their deliveries and are being slow to sort it.

How long have you got to leave the skimming to dry? If I could do this again, I’d try and allow time for a skimming. It makes the walls so much nicer and easier to paint.

:kissing_smiling_eyes: :ok_hand:

1 Like

3 days I reckon. The paint has arrived thankfully. Really annoying about the floor because they seem to be clueless about when it will arrive. We want our lounge back dammit!

And yes - is that for me when I come and stay??

Ah, three days isn’t too bad. You can be doing the floor in the meantime, I guess - if the stuff ever arrives.

I really don’t like the disruption of work being done while I’m living there. We’ve got the new doors coming on Monday, but I’ll be at work while they’re fitting them thankfully. Then the hall is being painted by ex-DiSer thesoundofbastards (because we can’t/daren’t reach that high over stairs), which won’t be too bad because it’s my buddy doing it, but in a few months we’ll be able to afford the kitchen and that’s going to be such a disruption :cry::cry::cry:

And yes, the yellow room is for you. Now plan a LDN-NGM audax! :slight_smile:

1 Like

HOW HAVE I ONLY JUST NOTICED THIS POST?

Totally planning to cycle up to visit now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Our living room just needs one more coat of white cotton and then the walls are done!

Not sure what to do with the “fire place” - any suggestions? Was just gonna bung some plants / candle or some shit in there. It’s all boarded up, so no chance of ever having a real fire and I don’t want a silly electric thing so if anyone has are ingenious uses of a space like that, please let me know.

After the last coat we’re gonna replace the mastic on the window and then put the curtain pole up. Our floor bloke can’t do the floor until we get back from holiday :expressionless:

Going to be so excited to have a proper lounge for the first time since January 2017.

1 Like

Do it!

How’s the front room coming along?

EDIT: just seen the post above this one.

Fireplace: paint it a different colour, like a very small feature wall. Then either put plants, candles, vases in like you said.

2 Likes

oh fuck, didn’t think about painting it another colour!

Yellow it up, m9!

…we’ve got yellow curtains. YES!

1 Like

:kissing::ok_hand:

Oh snap…

Before we started this work, we had logs in it which was quite homely - a bit like this:

180614%20Logs%20II

Might use it for toy storage this time around :+1:

:smiley:

My parents have done that.

It was a very effective quick fix when we moved in - think I spent £15 on firewood logs at Aldi to fill it up.

Blocked up fireplaces can be a bit of a pain if just left as wasted space. When we had our kitchen done we had a chunk cut out of the one in there to frame the cooker :+1:

1 Like

I’d paint the fireplace a dark colour and then have yellow objects in there.

Painting the recess yellow will mean the items and the recess look washed out.

2 Likes

yeah, you might be right.

So close. One coat left for the skirting.

4 Likes