Rolling DIY & home improvements thread

Looks fucking ace man. Such a good finish

1 Like

done a great job there! looks fantastic

1 Like

Anyone got any experience of using polymeric sand on a paved driveway to stop weeds? Every product online has a mix of reviews - ‘it’s great it stopped weeds’ through to ‘it didn’t work and now I have more weeds’.

I’d recommend using this as your bible re. paving:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/jointing12.htm

1 Like

Obviously not DIY cause I’m not touching electrical stuff myself but if I want:
1 new switch for an existing light
1 brand new light fitting
2 new plug sockets

• what sort of bunse/electrician’s time am I looking at?
  • will I need to get a plasterer in too?
  • will I need to re-paint or do something with the carpet afterwards?
  • anything else?

if these fit into the existing locations and are the same size/shape then you should be fine

here you’ll need to replaster/fill in and then paint wherever they’ve chased in/up the walls. could be a small enough job for you to have a crack at. if its the length and height of the wall then get a pro in
not sure what the electrician would do to your carpet. :confused:

Not sure I’ve described the first 2 very well. Basically in the loft bedroom the only light switch is at the bottom of the stairs. So we want a new switch upstairs for the existing light.

Then in the dining room we want (possibly) a new light to drop down over the dining table, on a seperate switch to the main light in the room, to recreate the feeling of eating in a pool hall

oh that’s a proper job innit

Proper means expensive and a faff doesn’t it :frowning:

Not necessarily. All the jobs we’ve had done on our flat (including small bits of electrical work) have been done via MyBuilder; ie you get some tradespeople around and they give you a free quote for the work. The leccy bits we had done were via other people – we wanted new spotlights fitted in the hall when we had the ceiling plastered, so our plasterer got an electrician in for that, and when we had the kitchen fitted the same guy also installed new electrical points in various places around the flat, so I can’t give you a ££ estimate, but I’d at least get some folk in to quote for the work.

Thanks m9 and @jont2001. So pleased. Tonight we’ll have a proper lounge for the first time since we moved in, like eighteen months! Gonna build our big Expedit and unpack our records and stereo and record player and books and ooommmggg!!!

7 Likes

Looks ace, mate! :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

1 Like

this isn’t DIY but there’s probably no where else to post it

talk to me about… getting rid of a vented hot water cylinder (at least, i think it’s vented)

no gas in our property. cold water comes straight from the mains. hot water is provider by a massive cylinder in the bathroom. it takes up a fucking shitload of room, and is terrible because we do not have on-demand hot water (as in, we have a timer set for a few hours each day. in the winter sometimes we run out).

our next “project” is sorting the bathroom out. we will get plumbers etc in to do all the work but i kind of want to know if we have options of changing the hot water system before we get some folks in. when we had a bloke round last year to ask about storage heaters he said that he would keep everything as it is, and i can’t quite remember why now. something to do with pressure? the water pressure is fine in our shower, as we fitted a pump, but absolutely terrible in the kitchen.

any advice, guys?

:confounded:

So you’re reliant on hot water being made hot by the electric cylinder, using the cheaper (nighttime) hours on a two-rate tariff, right?

Electric combi boiler on a single-rate tariff, and suck up the extra running cost seems the likeliest alternative, no?

yep

even then we have to heat the water a bit in the daytime cos otherwise it cools overnight :expressionless:

What do you use hot water for?

Is it just showers and washing up? If your washing machine etc are cold water only, you may be able to get away with an electric shower and a small undersink on-demand water heater.

:smiley: lol

2 Likes

???

Some people need hot water for a washing machine, a dishwasher or a bath as well. Others will have a washing machine or dishwasher that heat the water themselves, or will have a shower-only bathroom.

i guess we might have baths once the bathroom’s done, and the solution you mention doesn’t allow for hot water in the bathroom sink?

hmm

Oh this is not a joking thread k

1 Like