Rolling Film Score Thread

He puts out a lot of stuff so I don’t follow it all but based on a couple of listens I’d say this Clint Mansell released 2 weeks ago is well worth checking out for anyone into left field electronic side of things. I like it a lot.

Was a bit of chat around this film in the horror thread…

2 Likes

Why have I not been in this thread before :thinking:

Anyway, my suggestion from recent films, the Blanck Mass score to Calm With Horses (can’t get Bandcamp to embed for some reason)…

https://boomkat.com/products/calm-with-horses-original-score

I know a few people were disappointed with his most recent album, but this score has nice mix of styles on it, right from his trademark harsh noise back to the more ambient stuff he did on his first album :+1:

1 Like

Noted DiSer and drummer ScotchEgg knows the person who did the soundtrack for that…

The Loki show soundtrack is pretty great in a synthy / droney sci fi kind of way.

1 Like

Been really impressed with the music while watching the show, so looking forward to listening to this in isolation from the telly.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

God he’s good.

1 Like

As Dune Part One is finally in cinemas (and having watched it) , finally been rinsing all 3(!!!) Soundtracks on spotify - the standard soundtrack (which is ok but doesn’t really play well outside of the film imo so wouldn’t be picking this up any time soon), the score to the making of book (which is more interesting in that it contains motifs and ideas from the main score “stretched” out into long ambient type drones - seriously the last track fremen is 26 minutes long!!! - but not hugely engaging overall ) and then the Dune Sketchbook…

Which might be the most AWE-INSPIRING film related soundtrack I’ve heard in quite some time (and absolutely works on its own) - a bit too much to listen to in one go (9 tracks over 100 minutes) but its sonically incredible sounding (one for Headphones or if you don’t mind pissing off your neighbours, a really loud sound system) - its proggy, deeply atmospheric, with some bits remind me of Anna Von Hauswolff, Underworld, and on this I even think comes across as some sort of crazied hybrid of Blanck Mass and Square-pusher

Quite gutted the limited vinyl version of this is now sold out - THE DUNE SKETCHBOOK - Music from the Soundtrack 3XLP Vinyl (On-Sale In – Mondo

4 Likes
1 Like

Currenly listening to the Spencer score by Jonny Greenwood. Really fucking good. And a lot more jazzy than I thought it was gonna be.

4 Likes

One of my all time favourite film scores just got a repress.

1 Like

Yeah it is really gooood. The film is great as well, I only went to see it because I had a few hours to kill before meeting a friend so was a bit of a whim and I loved it.

2021 soundtracks of the year anyone?

Usually do a separate thread but it doesn’t get much engagement so just thought I’d do a post on here

So any soundtracks/scores for film/tv/video games/anything else really.

Include reissues (or first releases for old films) if you wish and maybe just mentions for any new to you discoveries you’d like to highlight.

Anyway whatever you wish.

Here’s my top 5 from 2021

1. Emile Mosseri - Minari (film)
  2. Japanese Breakfast - Sable (video game)
  3. Clarice Jensen - Identifying Features (film)
  4. Clint Mansell - In the Earth (film)
  5. Nicolas Jaar - Ema (film)

Reissues wise loads but I’ll mention the incredible looking Godzilla boxset that I couldn’t quite bring myself to buy but as a result picked out some favourites from that series in addition to the original Godzilla - Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs Mothra & King Kong vs Mothra.

I like it. Seems to be a divisive one though!