Rolling Film Score Thread

Ekin Fil released the soundtrack to a film called The Gulf/Korfez right at the end of last year I’ve just discovered.
It’s only short and took me a couple of listens to connect with but highly recommended if you like Grouperesque ambient/drone type stuff. Digital only and is on Spotify et al.

1 Like

I know it’s all subjective etc but this is a terrible list.

1 Like

Yeah it is pretty bad isn’t it? Didn’t even really read through it when I posted it last night. Some good films, but the ‘Graduate’ at 30 way off. Has to be top 5.

Theodore Shapiro’s Destroyer… really tense and abrasive all the way through and then climaxes with a couple of beautiful pieces. Think it’s getting a re-release from Mondo soon.

I’ve had it on pretty constantly since I saw the film a couple of weeks ago. It’s incredible.

1 Like

Imagine coming up with a 50 best movie scores list, and not including E.T.

Oh hello, Pitchfork.

Actually tbh I think I’d struggle to come up with 50 soundtracks as opposed to scores that I really like (although there seems a fair bit of blurring here e.g. The Shining) just because I tend to find them a bit intrinsically dissatisfying. But on a fair few of these I’d argue even the Directors they’ve chosen in many cases have better options.

Can’t say I agree with everything on this list but overall I think it’s pretty good and has a few things for me to check out.

I think I’m pretty much alone in not liking the Blade Runner ost.

Is this not Soundtracks as opposed to original scores though? I immediately thought Blade Runner too and Drive which you would think would be a P4K shoe-in but then I don’t think there’s any original scores in the list… or is there?

TL;DR - Pitchfork gonna Pitchfork.

yeah it is - I think the scores list is better tbf.

There are often soundtracks that feature original scores + unoriginal songs. An obvious example would be Wes Anderson. Including The Shining as soundtrack not score is an interesting choice as the main themes by Wendy Carlos are original and the other music used e.g. Ligetti is very much used as a score rather than say punctuating songs.

Ah sorry, I’ve completely confused myself, ignore me. Didn’t realise the link Bruised Blood posted was a new article.

On the subject of soundtrack as opposed to scores, the absolute best in recent years was The Guest - which also featured a great, perfectly complementary score alongside from Steve Moore.

Here’s a ramble.

Shostakovich’s 7th Symphony has that bit about 5mins up to about 6mins into the fourth movement:

This one is called Leningrad and is about the city fighting the Germans. It’s familiar if you’ve ever heard Ill Manors

which is actually just a reworking of Alles Neu by Peter Fox

But I kind of prefer Ill Manors in the sense that it too has a politic that seems to match the original intent of the Shostakovich sample.

ANYWAY my point is that I am a fan of the score for The Dark Knight Rises and I have always thought the track The Fire Rises feels like it’s deliberately trying to emulate this bit of music and, again, I assume that’s because there is a similar politics involved in Gotham under attack from Bane’s rule

(Oddly that’s in a different key to the version on the album

but the length is the same so who knows.)

2 Likes

Absolutely LOVE the It Follows soundtrack (even though it’s terrifying)

6 Likes

Some original music from PJ Harvey on this…

1 Like

Yup this one is great. Disasterpeace also recently did the beautiful score for the Hyper Light Drifter game.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned the Chernobyl soundtrack yet.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/110137098

4 Likes

Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie (one half of Stars of the Lid) has released a lush score to the following film.

2 Likes