Rolling Football Podcast Spin-off thread

oh man, was just gonna bump this for this

fucking love james richardson

Spent much of today catching up with the Number 1 podcast. Itā€™s interesting. Iā€™ve always found David Preece engaging when talking about goalkeepers and hearing him analysing in such depth is brilliant - particularly as a former, failed keeper.

I wonder if it might lose something from being a bit repetitive in time - I mean, hopefully itā€™ll evolve as time goes on, but I donā€™t know how much mileage there is in analysing the same 20 keepers week in week out.

Time will tell, but a great (and different) listen.

Does anyone else think Marcottiā€™s one of the very worst pundits?

4 Likes

Canā€™t stand his vocal inflection, let alone his teenagery hot takes on all things football.

Literally everyone? I may be prejudiced because of the Americanness but his writing is absolutely godawful unreadable shite as well

Not a fan. Brings nothing to the table at all. Made to look all the more inadequate when sharing a platform with someone like James Horncastle.

100% Team Football Weekly now, Totally has pissed me off too many times.

Tempted to listen to Golazzo though, despite not giving a shit about Italian football. Is it good?

Both were a bit poor this week. The Guardian roped a work experience lad in, and TFS had that annoying angry southerner on again.

I think both are pretty distinct shows now, tbh. TFS more indepth and more varied discussion. FW more laidback and injokes. I prefer the former really.

1 Like

Preece, MacIntosh, Ben Green, Horncastle and MacInnes all on this i noticedā€¦

Taken the plunge into ā€˜Quickly Kevinā€™ and picking and choosing the episodes. Really enjoyed the Le-Tiss, Dowie, Champ Man, Dermot Gallagher and James Richardson episodes. Currently listening to Steve Bruceā€™s novel review.

Considering Iā€™m not a huge fan of Widdicombeā€™s comedy (and Iā€™m staggered that Carl Serrant didnā€™t resonate on his radar), I think heā€™s pretty good on this. However, the laugh of his co-host is so irritating. Laughs at EVERYTHING. Very loudly. HAHAHAHAHAHA THATā€™S VERY FUNNY, JOSH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA>

1 Like

The laughing does my tits in.

Definitely listen to the Elis James episode on Gould, itā€™s fantastic.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll stick that one on next.

Iā€™m not a huge fan of Ellis James either, but Iā€™ve heard good things about this episode already.

Youā€™reā€¦ what? Really? Is he not the most likable man in the UK?

I donā€™t know him or his stuff particularly well, but Iā€™ve found him pretty ā€˜mehā€™ up until now.

Mind remains open though.

Heā€™s not the funniest comic, thatā€™s for sure, but I find him very charming and pleasant. Knows his onions when it comes to football too.

1 Like

The Golazzo podcast on Zemanā€™s good.

Find these proactive coaches who win fuck all absolutely fascinating. Bielsaā€™s another. Sarriā€™s won nowt yet. Sampaoli probably wonā€™t win much else at international or club level. All nutters. All brilliant.

anyone heard the Quickly Kevin of them going through Steve Bruceā€™s books?

3 Likes

I had an idea for a football podcast that I will never put into action. Basically, just have a group of people (a comic, a journalist, an ex-player, others) commentate on a live game. They would be encouraged to deviate a bit, just be an alternative to the mundane commentary you have to endure from drab ex-pros. Not sure people would listen after the game has happened, but live could work. Would anybody actually listen to this, or do people prefer retrospective analysis?

Yeahā€¦it was pretty goodā€¦that guest comedian was much funnier than any of the others, though (cant remember his name)

Ivo Graham.

Yeah i like Josh Widdicombe but the others are irritating. The book is ridiculous though