Rolling Football Podcast Spin-off thread

Weird how many football journalists seem really pissy and thin skinned

Set Piece Menu is good. English based and touches on PL stuff more than foreign leagues, but more discussions of themes and ideas than a weekly look at whatever fixtures

Only just seen this. Reaffirmed my complete conviction that Glendenning is a stupid cunt.

Strongly recommend this week’s Football Weekly Extra, even if you don’t like Max and/or Barry. They’ve got Mike Calvin on and he’s bloody wonderful.

still always tune into the ones with Wilson on anyway
will probably end up buying both their books

I was shocked. One of the most engaging football interviews i’ve heard. Always had him down as a bit of a Sunday Supplement-style hack. Bought a couple of his books and couldn’t see what the fuss was about, but this State of Play sounds brilliant. Came here to post exactly what you have.

There’s a really lovely feature by James Montague on Nemanja Matič on this as well - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cswtzn

Yeah it was exceptional. Wasn’t expecting something so arresting while doing my LIDL shop.

Really enjoyed Us legend Marcus bean on football weekly, says ‘excetera’ too much though

Anyone else find the Michael Owen snippet before On The Continent/Football Ramble really funny? Both in content, and delivery.

Really weird human-being, ain’t he?

Not convinced.

Good.

Not listened to the ramble this week but it was billed as an otc crossover _ basically Jim and Pete* weren’t there, whatshisname and long hair were instead.

Wild conjecture means either this means otc is struggling for listeners, or Jim and Pete are on the way out, or they’re going to start yet another weekly show.

*the ones with actual, if not quite proper, jobs…

All four regularly go missing. I do think Jim is drifting away from it, though.

OTC probably doesn’t get the numbers of the others, but it’s by far the most informative of all the football podcasts, save possibly the World Football one with Mani Djazmi. Only criticism i’d have is it gets a bit sort of Horncastle/Brassell’s leagues-centric.

Idk, using my extensive knowledge of self employed stand up comics he must make a decent whack from the podcasts. I would’ve thought a jobbing comedian would miss many many more shows - owing their entire existence being nightly touring in provincial comedy club knightmares

Edit lol knightmares

I just read it simply as Jim/Pete were missing and so they brought the other two in as temporary back-up. No hidden agenda. Pretty sure it’s happened before with just 2 of them…but that was before they had a sister show to bring in reinforcements.

This interview with Kenny Keegle’s great. Always liked listening to him talk about football. However mixed his managerial career was he’s still really charming and genuine, and easy to forget how ahead of the curve he was as a player in terms of contracts, sponsorships, all that. Think we should celebrate these sort of characters more and aggressive weirdos less.

Still not convinced that “Luke” and “Jim” aren’t just the same generic southerner

Luke = loud, likes a hot-take, Portsmouth fan, not usually funny

Jim = quiet (to the point where I forget he’s on the pod sometimes), usually sits on the fence, Arsenal fan, sometimes funny