Rolling Football Podcast Spin-off thread

still always tune into the ones with Wilson on anyway
will probably end up buying both their books

I was shocked. One of the most engaging football interviews iā€™ve heard. Always had him down as a bit of a Sunday Supplement-style hack. Bought a couple of his books and couldnā€™t see what the fuss was about, but this State of Play sounds brilliant. Came here to post exactly what you have.

Thereā€™s a really lovely feature by James Montague on Nemanja Matič on this as well - BBC World Service - World Football in Qatar, Valencia, De Boer and the village built by Nemanja Matic

Yeah it was exceptional. Wasnā€™t expecting something so arresting while doing my LIDL shop.

Really enjoyed Us legend Marcus bean on football weekly, says ā€˜exceteraā€™ too much though

2 Likes

Anyone else find the Michael Owen snippet before On The Continent/Football Ramble really funny? Both in content, and delivery.

Really weird human-being, ainā€™t he?

1 Like

Not convinced.

Good.

1 Like

Not listened to the ramble this week but it was billed as an otc crossover _ basically Jim and Pete* werenā€™t there, whatshisname and long hair were instead.

Wild conjecture means either this means otc is struggling for listeners, or Jim and Pete are on the way out, or theyā€™re going to start yet another weekly show.

*the ones with actual, if not quite proper, jobsā€¦

1 Like

All four regularly go missing. I do think Jim is drifting away from it, though.

OTC probably doesnā€™t get the numbers of the others, but itā€™s by far the most informative of all the football podcasts, save possibly the World Football one with Mani Djazmi. Only criticism iā€™d have is it gets a bit sort of Horncastle/Brassellā€™s leagues-centric.

Idk, using my extensive knowledge of self employed stand up comics he must make a decent whack from the podcasts. I wouldā€™ve thought a jobbing comedian would miss many many more shows - owing their entire existence being nightly touring in provincial comedy club knightmares

Edit lol knightmares

I just read it simply as Jim/Pete were missing and so they brought the other two in as temporary back-up. No hidden agenda. Pretty sure itā€™s happened before with just 2 of themā€¦but that was before they had a sister show to bring in reinforcements.

1 Like

This interview with Kenny Keegleā€™s great. Always liked listening to him talk about football. However mixed his managerial career was heā€™s still really charming and genuine, and easy to forget how ahead of the curve he was as a player in terms of contracts, sponsorships, all that. Think we should celebrate these sort of characters more and aggressive weirdos less.

https://player.fm/series/football-daily/kelly-cates-with-kevin-keegan

1 Like

Still not convinced that ā€œLukeā€ and ā€œJimā€ arenā€™t just the same generic southerner

Luke = loud, likes a hot-take, Portsmouth fan, not usually funny

Jim = quiet (to the point where I forget heā€™s on the pod sometimes), usually sits on the fence, Arsenal fan, sometimes funny

1 Like

Marcus - host, doesnā€™t have one team but a soft spot for many teams (plus Sven), easily over-excited, Christian

Pete - Newcastle supporter from Hartlepool. Most obviously left wing/liberal. Has some decent footballing opinionsā€¦but most of his role is dedicated to him being incompetent/deviant.

1 Like

Anyone going with that peter crouch podcast? It would be easy to get annoyed by but Iā€™ve tried to just ignore that and have actually enjoyed it a bit. Not sure it has legs tho, latest episode wore thin.

If thereā€™s one thing crouchy has in abundance, itā€™s legs

Like Crouch a lot. Think he comes across really well, smart lad, quite self-depricating, etc, etc. Struggle a bit with the hosts, though.