Rolling Football Podcast Spin-off thread

You should give it more of a go. The main subjects of this episode are, from memory, the Istanbul derby, illegal ticketing at Juventus, Real Betis. They do talk about PSG a bit too much, mind.

This kind of thing is my general problemā€¦but I will keep listening and if it as good as you say, Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll change my mind.

Johnathan Wilson seems to be hawking his books a lot at the moment - but are they any good? quite tempted by either the iron curtain or the argentina one but would anyone recommend??

as an aside the man himself has been like a different person on FW this season with the new cast, or is it without the old cast? much less dour and actually quite funny

Behind The Curtain is a lovely piece of work, yes. Would highly recommend that.

Also, Inverting the Pyramid is hugely interesting if youā€™re into the detail and evolution of football tactics.

I want to read the Argentina one as Iā€™m sure itā€™d be really good as well.

This.

Behind the Curtainā€™s really, really charming, and because the chapters are completely different stories itā€™s an easy read.

Inverting the Pyramidā€™s a bit too heavy, dare i say boring. I liked it a lot, but found myself skip-reading parts of it. Itā€™s over-detailed, iā€™d say.

Keep meaning to get The Outsider, and Angels With Dirty Faces.

I canā€™t remember if Iā€™ve read The Outsider - if I have, it made little impact on me. But yeah, I canā€™t imagine Angels with Dirty Faces being anything other than a real treat.

Speller is by some distance the least bearable of the lot.

heā€™s definitely the Richard Hammond to the Luke Moore Clarkson (James May = Jim, obvs.)

that makes Pete the Stig, but that doesnā€™t work, so close yet so far.

This episodeā€™s excellent. Tom Markhamā€™s really good, Horncastleā€™s obviously always brilliant, and Jimboā€™s in great form. Doesnā€™t even suffer that much due to Laurensā€™ cheeky chappy/young Lawro schtik.

https://www.acast.com/totallyfootballshow/irish-hangovers-chinese-takeovers-and-the-king-of-crumbles

Listening to this weekā€™s OTC, Iā€™ve decided that my OTHER issue with it is the structure. Too often they revert to either Luke or Marcus asking one of Andy or James a questionā€¦who then spend a few minutes explaining something that you can find yourself if you Google it. I find it makes for a stilted showā€¦whereas things like the ramble are more fluid.

Iā€™ve tried, but itā€™s not for me Clive

Although this week has Jonathan Wilson in place of Brassellā€¦so might be worth a try.

Hope FW keeps bringing in the female Dutch correspondent. Responded to Rushden saying that on paper West Ham look good with ā€œMaybe if youā€™re playing Football Manager in 2011ā€, fantastic.

2 Likes

enjoyed her extensive recap of De Klassieker

Never been a huge fan of Philippe Auclair butbhe waa fucking spot on about Koop this week on FW.

Priya Ramesh? Yeah thought she was really good, too

1 Like

Followed her on Twitter straight afterwards. Very much enjoyed her contributions.

Enjoyed the Totally Football League Show this week (I listened to most of the other major onesā€¦and they are enjoyable enough at the timeā€¦but Iā€™m finding that theyā€™re all blending into one in my memory. I should make an active choice to give a few up, I guess). They featured Ivor Heller, so it was an interesting focus on AFC Wimbledonā€¦though he did ruin it a bit by moaning about ā€œenglish jobs for english coachesā€ a bit.

Elis James is absolutely brilliant.

This weekā€™s FW and the QK, WES? episode heā€™s on are superb.

2 Likes

I want to be best friends with him.

Sachin Nakrani - too chirpy for me.