Rolling Heavy Music Thread 2018

Definitely going to this now. Sold on Lagwagon, brilliant band.

1 Like

Lagwagon and NOFX are great live (not seen either for 15 years)

1 Like

Why this hasnā€™t been mentioned here I canā€™t quite understand,album of the year for me by a mile.

1 Like

Saw both in 2012 (not at the same time!) and both were excellent, in Lagwagonā€™s case, incredibly tight, heavy and fast. Capeā€™s vocals were cracking. NOFX were proper ramshackle, but still decent.

Not too sure if this counts as ā€œheavyā€ apart from the black metal vocals near the end.

Ben Koller has broken his elbow :cold_sweat:

Disillusion fans?

new album expected in 2019,

Quite an ironic name now

2 Likes

Just tracked down the Hirs Collective album

Featuring quite a few guest artists (standout for me is Sadie Switchblade from GLOSS and Laura Jane Grace sounding ten times better screaming than anything else she has done), really bloody good so far.

2 Likes

nice. iā€™ll goive this a listen later. Iā€™m lookng forward to hearing their nirvana covers on the Thou split iā€™ve got coming in the post

Been revisiting this brilliant album this week and realised I should have spent more time with it in the back end of 2018. Brutal and beautiful blackened shoegaze / post-rock from Denmark. Based on reviews, probably a few nods to Deafheaven, but Iā€™ve never quite got into them, so couldnā€™t tell you really.

Might have been flagged somewhere in the northern reaches of this thread already, but the search is taken forever.

2 Likes

ā€”summoner of cosmic darknessā€“ ā€“Exomancerā€“ ā€“conjurer of astral terrorā€”

HAIDUK
Evil Melodic Black Metal

New Album

@colossalhorse

I knew Iā€™d seen Molā€™s album mentioned somewhere on DiS. It was you in an April New Releases thread! Been a great work soundtrack today.

1 Like

Cracking album - one of my top 10 of the year! Glad youā€™re enjoying it - feel it didnā€™t get nearly as much love as it could have if itā€™d have reached more ears.

2 Likes

Totally agree. It didnā€™t make my top 5, but would make my top 10 for this year. I listened to it so much earlier in the year and somehow it got a little lost amongst some other favourites in the last few months.

How accurate are the Deafheaven comparisons? If I like Mol so muchā€¦

Theyā€™re definitely in the same ā€˜blackgazeā€™ kinda ballpark. Iā€™ve never really fallen for Deafheaven either though for some reason. Mol sound closer to Alcest with harsh vocals to me, though itā€™s not really my genre tbh.

Just listening to this BBC Live Session on Alcestā€™s Bandcamp page. Great stuff. New to me. Where to go next?

1 Like

Ooh youā€™re in for a treat! Most people say debut Souvenirs dā€™un Autre Monde is their best but Iā€™ve always preferred follow up Ecailles de Lune. You canā€™t go wrong with anything theyā€™ve done bar Shelter imo, where they decided to make a rather tame melodic shoegaze album. Theyā€™re back doing what they do best now thankfully.

1 Like

Brilliant. Thanks. Iā€™ll dive in. Tomorrow at work has a new soundtrack. The 3 tracks on this BBC session sound great - particularly Ecailles de Lune (Part 1)!

1 Like

Ah nice - the album version of that track is what sold me on them way back when.

Might have an Alcest morning myself. Itā€™s been a while.

1 Like