Rolling Heavy Music Thread 2019

I just find it quite a tired old heavy music mindset - that people need be throwing themselves around to ‘prove’ they’re hard enough/metal enough to be worthy of the band that’s performing. I’m not going to throw myself around like I did 10 years ago after 6 pints - doesn’t mean I’m not still as worthy a fan of the music.

3 Likes

A couple of superb recent black metal releases.

Véhémence “Par le Sang Versé” - Melodic medieval themed black metal from France

Ashes “Ashes” - Excellent Polish black metal recorded and mixed by Mgła

1 Like

guys please help me I can’t stop listening to Polyphia

Just got tipped off about these guys. Playing with Svalbard in Bristol next Friday. Well harsh.

Nice. What is it with Leeds and Hardcore? Seems to be loads of stuff going on there.

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Not listened to WATR in years. Forgot what an incredible album it is.

Sad but true.

1 Like

Awesome black metal band from France. Loving the artwork too

I find it quite irritating when bands use Bandcamp but only put up one song from an album even after it’s released. I found the whole thing on youtube though.

You’re right that artwork is excellent, you should post it in the “Best artwork” thread! The album/EP’s ok, I’m not mad on his vocal style tbh but it has some goos riffs. For French BM this year I prefer the Véhémence album I linked further up the thread,

You’re for sure not the only one who has an issue with the vocals. I don’t mind 'em. Most BM vocals are a bit silly to me. What I do like though is the rawness, and occasional choral parts and synthy bits.

Cheers for the re-heads up re Véhémence, think i missed that one on the first posting - sounds great. Definitely the Frenchest metal I’ve heard!

AAL and Intervals dream team back together again

Couple of not too shabby crossover thrash records from 2019 for any thrashers out there

Critical Defiance - Misconception

Judgement - Iron Rule

This album is VERY good. You should listen to it. French noise-rock, bit Pissed Jeans/Whores/Torche.

3 Likes

The second album by Belgium’s atmospheric black metallers Drawn Into Descent has been released a couple of days early. I loved their 2015 self titled debut, and on first listen this sounds really good.

Really into this, I’ve been on a couple of long train journeys this week and this has been the perfect soundtrack to rolling at 5mph through the outskirts of Birmingham forever. Love the last third of Katyusha when the glitchy electronic noises start poking through the riff.

New Baroness track, as underwhelming as everything they’ve done since Blue and they’ve still not sorted out that crappy production. Shame https://youtu.be/tQX_oVVORFU

4 Likes

@riverwise

This new MMWB album is awesome. Particularly loving Fata Morgana right now. Just got round to checking it out properly. Thanks!

Will see if it works well for slow moving trains into London.

2 Likes

Realised it’s the new MWWB album and not Y Proffyd Dwyll that I’ve been listening to. Same difference, both fantastic albums. Love the contrast between the heavy sludge of the riffs and the delicate vocal, like that Cult of Luna / Julie Christmas album but more doomy.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s the same for me. Clearly read half of the recommendation from @riverwise and managed to ignore the album name. Dived straight into the new album and am really enjoying it.

2 Likes

And now Rolo Tomassi (and Black Peaks) have been announced has support, I’ve finally stopped resisting buying a Gojira ticket. Day before Converge too.

Particularly loving this vid at the mo…

1 Like