Rolling Heavy Music Thread 2020

She sounds like a fun gal!

2 Likes

Where do you guys buy most of your heavier records from? Any hot tips? Ta

3 Likes

Bandcamp mainly, pre lockdown I’d regularly check Crash Records here in Leeds as they have a pretty good metal section.

Mostly bandcamp here also.

I think Pelagic Records have been putting out some really solid stuff over the last year or two, like the Lesser Glow and Psychonaut albums.

1 Like

Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas doing their stunning album Mariner in full. I’ve not watched it yet but if it’s anything like as good as when I saw them do it at Damnation Festival then it’ll be spine tinglingly brilliant!

7 Likes

Those full album shows of Mariner must have been awesome. Were there many at the time? Is it your favourite CoL album?

Came late to the CoL party. Only saw them live for the first time at Electric Ballroom last year. My journey through their catalogue in 2019 was so good.

2 Likes

It was fantastic, one of my top 5 gigs I think. I don’t know how many they did, not many I don’t think. I feel pretty lucky to have caught one.

It’s one of my favourite albums of the last ten years but I don’t really think of it amongst the other CoL albums as it stands on its own. My favourite “proper” CoL album is probably Salvation .

I’ve watched that video now and it is really good, released by the band themselves so it’s professional video and sound quality.

2 Likes

Gig top 5 placing? Impressive! Setlist.fm lists only 12 gigs under Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas and only 1 in the UK. Good work!

I need to spend more time with Mariner and this video. Tomorrow’s lockdown wfh soundtrack is sorted. Thank you!

2 Likes

If you like sludgey, doomy sounds with melodic passages, there seems to be a new Lesser Glow album coming in May. http://www.brooklynvegan.com/lesser-glow-releasing-new-lp-nullity-stream-the-great-imitator/

1 Like

Still hope there’ll be some Battle Of Mice shows one day

2 Likes

What were the essential heavy music albums from Q1, feeling like I’ve been neglecting it a bit this year after 2019 being so incredible. Need to catch up!

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

What’s a good entry point to get into them plz J-Nubz?

That’s one of the few new albums I’ve actually gotten into this year, but thanks!

I still don’t really know of any good metal blogs, there are a ton of awful ones and I’ll still never settle for pitchfork. I wish stereogum didn’t mainly focus on hip-hop/rnb as it’s not for me but I love that site

Apparently sunset motel but that isn’t on Spotify so I’d say Piano Nights

1 Like

For me these are some of the best of the year so far;

Turia - Degen van Licht
Envy - The Fallen Crimson
Faidra - Six Voices Inside
Fluisteraars - Bloem
VVilderness - Dark Waters
Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs - Viscerals
Spectral Lore & Mare Cognitum - Wanderers: Astrology of the Nine (this is a potential AOTY contender)

3 Likes

invisible oranges is good.

2 Likes

Garganjua. Sludgy post metal

Loathe. If the Deftones were a hardcore band.

Telepathy. Cinematic post metal

Huntsmen sludgy, proggy, post metal.

Second Envy and Fluisteraars.

2 Likes