Rolling Heavy Music Thread 2020

So unfortunately I’ve realized that Deafheaven-type vocals are responsible for the hearing issues I’ve had this past year. I’ve been working through recommendations very slowly from last year, but I can never get too far before needing to take a several day break from music in general.

I’m curious if anyone has any recommendations along the lines of Holy Fawn’s Death Spells (or even Alcest, for some reason Neige’s voice doesn’t cause this problem at all). Lately it’s been shooting up my decade rankings and might have even entered the top 10. Something massive and cohesive and loud and melodic, but without harsh vocals.

Wish there was more music like this, what a chorus.

1 Like

Is it just the high pitched shrieking that gives you problems? Because there’s plenty of black metal with lower frequency vocals, such as Saor, Kaleikr, Mephorash or Andavald (all in my end of year list).

Or there’s the Latitudes album from last year, melodic post metal with no harsh vocals at all I don’t think.

2 Likes

Latitudes was the first band/album that came to mind too. Great shout

1 Like

Maybe also try…

Whitechapel - The Valley
Numenorean - Adore, Home
Cult of Luna - A Dawn to Fear
Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race

Not all that much like those you mentioned but not too far away

1 Like

Sika Redem

1 Like

Ignore the name (if you like, I love it) and check out Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard

6 Likes

Don’t ignore the name, it’s amazing :metal::sunglasses::joy:

1 Like

I haven’t completely figured that out yet. But on first listen Latitudes sounds promising, thanks!

I’ve really been wanting to get into this one since you guys recommended it last time, but so far it’s been leaving my ears ringing. Which is a shame because it’s definitely promising - I already love that outro in Horizon, and the album’s first big blast is miserable in a good way.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I’ll hopefully get around to all of these a bit faster this time.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve just recommended a heap of ear busters tbf. Whitechapel is chuggy, heavy and very sweet sounding (vocally)… all in the same song at times… Latitudes is your best bet though

2 Likes

I saw that and was pretty surprised, it’s going to shock a lot of the crowd. :smiley:

1 Like

It has made what was quite a cool show absolutely bitchin. Can’t wait!

1 Like

Here is the new one from Frail Hands

[Screamo]

1 Like

this is right up my street

Their self titled one from last year was also excellent. They had a female vocalist who has sadly now left, as I preferred her style

1 Like

Try Heretoir, Belgian Blackgaze, very pretty with more clean singing than harsh. They are
a shamefully overlooked band. Neige turns up on the album as well.

1 Like

Jesus Piece are playing 2 UK dates in June - Leeds and London.

3 Likes

Ooof, this is solid.

New three-track Holy Fawn EP/Single out.

5 Likes

Played with Bismuth and Body Void last night and both were unsurprisingly devastating. So heavy.
Would recommend any bristol people get down tonight and london folk tomorrow to see them both. Superb. Crushing sludgy doom. (this bismuth lp is a monster also…)

6 Likes