Rolling Heavy Music Thread 2021

local peeps done good

2 Likes

Holy fuck. Brutal new band out of Sweden/Switzerland - ex-Breach and Ølten. Mixed by a buddy of mine who said the idea was that you’d listen to it once and never want to listen again :smile:

Nice, i used to really like Breach - Kollapse is a beast. I’ll have a listen to this for sure cheers

1 Like

just listened to it- it’s decent but it’s not particularly abrasive!

1 Like

Still not had a chance to listen yet! Should get a chance tomorrow with a bit of luck. The comments so far have got me pumped

Cross post from new releases as the new Succumb record is out:

1 Like

Had the last Cult of Luna full length on again this week and its finally sinking in. If you’ve got a spare 15 minutes this is classic sounding Luna done really well…

and the last side is great also…

While i’m at it…

SATH>Marriner>The Beyond>A Dawn to Fear>Self-Titled>Vertikal>Salvation>Eternal Kingdom

(not a fan of salvation or eternal kingdom particularly so not as familiar/they blend into one and Vertikal i enjoyed but have only been back a handful of times. It;'s close between Marriner and …highway so gave it to highway as it’s a ‘true’ CoL LP.)

Gonna get a ticket for Beyond the Redshift i think. Svalbard and Alcest already on board and loads more to come i imagine.

5 Likes

Employed to Serve have announced a gig in Tunbridge Wells. We don’t get many ‘heavy’ gigs in TW. This is very exciting.

3 Likes

I’ve been waiting a long time to announce this

Have you not heard The Raging River from earlier this year? They call it an EP but it’s still nearly 40 minutes, so I’m including it in the rankings;

Mariner>Salvation>SATH>Eternal Kingdom>The Raging River>Vertikal>A Dawn To Fear>The Beyond>self-titled

1 Like

Spotted this while wondering what Envy are up to these days - I reckon someone has deliberately put Rectal Smegma and Brutal Sphincter next to each other on the line-up.

For anyone interested, Envy seem to be working on a new album just now, and a few weeks ago they released a short video of 3 existing songs from a recent live show.

Their last album was amazing.

2 Likes

The new Rivers of Nihl is unlike anything I’ve heard.

Heavy as hell but with Vangelis and easy listening bits, with a few solos that must have been played on a mpuntain top. It shouldn’t work but it’s great on first listen.

1 Like

I haven’t! Been meaning to. I love CoL but i need to be in a right mood for them and was still digesting A Dawn to Fear when it came out :smiley: I’ll probably give it a go this wqeekend. It’s decent by your rankings!

The Beyond that low though! I think i’m fond of it as it was the first i heard and saw them. Such a cold album!

1 Like

I didn’t hear The Beyond for a while, Eternal Kingdom was the first of theirs I heard. The first two I find a bit too abrasive, I prefer them once they introduced a few more post rock elements. But their position in that list is in relation to what is a superb back catalogue. Just because they’re in the last two positions shouldn’t make you think I don’t like them or something! :slight_smile:

Not sure if of interest but the keyboardist from Cult of Luna released a solo-project single last week with an album due to follow shortly. Sounded nice enough without really grabbing me much on first listen.

3 Likes

good to clear up!

But yeah, totally agree - i think it’s a really strong back catalogue - especially for a band who, on a cursory listen you could think hadn’t evolved much

Very much of interest cheers! Had not seen or heard anything of it so thanks for mentioning.

1 Like

I dunno why but i was expecting it to be more ambient/less like CoL.

exactly this!

1 Like

just got tickets to their Guildford show - first time I’ve been to the Star in at least 10 years!

1 Like