Rolling Heavy Music Thread 2021

Definitely tempted by this. I’m one of the few who prefer the punky vibes of the first 3 albums but those 2 are classics and never seen the band live so…

For a £5 this is a steal!

There’s another show with Dawnwalker but I’m in Scotland for that :frowning:

1 Like

It’s here! Thank you so much for first posting this, my heavy find of the year so far, totally in love with this Kauan record. The book is fun too though I’m not sure when I’ll be in the company of enough people to play it…

2 Likes

Boooo

Tell me about it :frowning:

might be booking something for august hopefully

1 Like

Will Mecum, guitarist, and founder of Karma to Burn has passed away :frowning: Boo. Loved those dudes, riffs right into your face.

That sucks. They’re a good fun band, got a couple of their albums. Always liked the way they had no song titles just numbers.

1 Like

That’s really sad. Wild Wonderful Purgatory and Almost Heathen are both stone cold stoner rock classics. I have fond memories of loading them onto my original Xbox so I could play Burnout 2 while being POWERED BY RIFFS.

That video for 20 is unspeakably bad though!

3 Likes

Loved these games, Burnout 3: Takedown was my favourite, being able to take out your opponents in dramatic slow-mo carnage was endlessly fun!

3 Likes

Had both those albums on rotation today. Got Arch Stanton and V to put on next. Haha, that’s the best way to listen to them, perfect driving music.

1 Like

just put on Appalachian Incantation, riffs!! :metal:

1 Like

Yeah, brilliant games. Never quite loved Paradise as much - the open world thing was just distracting. I don’t wanna follow a map I wanna smash things!

3 Likes

Just looked back on my past gig list on Songkick and it turns out I saw them twice, once supporting Monster Magnet in 2009 and then again as a joint headliner with Gentlemen’s Pistols in 2010!

1 Like

Yeah that was pretty much when I stopped buying/playing games as my limb shortage was making it more and more difficult as games ramped up the button complexity! :grinning:

1 Like

Any Godflesh fans around here?

I’ve been thinking of albums that have lost their impact over the years as production techniques got better and metal has gotten heavier. I was sure Streetcleaner was one of those albums but I’ve dug it out today and it seems that I just wasn’t listening to it loudly enough. It really doesn’t make that much impression on headphones (unless you’re risking your hearing) but on a decent speaker this still sounds like the end of the world. I think this is credited with being one of the first industrial metal albums and it’s amazing how intense a guitar, bass and drum machine can be.

2 Likes

Godflesh are one of the worst bands I’ve ever seen live. Not really the fault of the material, but the drum machine kept breaking down and it was a disastrous gig. Justin Broadrick is/was too much of a paranoid stoner to smooth it out with crowd banter and there was just lengthy grim silence before a song lurched into life again, only to splutter out a few minutes later.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Oof. That sounds harsh. :confused:

1 Like

same. i was never a huge fan but after seeing godflesh and then jk flesh live it’s put them both into pretty laughable territory in my head now.

1 Like