Rolling Heavy Music Thread 2021

Three unfriendly tigers trapped in a gloomy, glitchy physics house with a jazz pianist. Only much better than that probably sounds.

5 Likes

Ooooh, I was wondering when this was out - the single was great, really chunky!

1 Like

Based on the first couple of listens I was very much enjoying the new album ‘Empire of Love’ by one-man project (I think), Violet Cold, from Baku in Azerbaijan. A bit blackgaze but it also blends in other stuff including more traditional music. It’s also really upbeat and positive, almost pop-like at times, and managed to put a big smile on my face.

Just noticed though, as I write this, that it’s described as experimental AI simulated music. I’m not quite certain I know exactly what this means in practice, and whether it should affect my appreciation of the music (would welcome people’s opinions on that). Anyway, if you do like it, it’s ‘name your price’ on bandcamp. Due some respect for the album artwork also.

1 Like

I used to listen to him awhile ago and there was no A.I involved. I’ll check it out though and of it’s good I wouldn’t worry about it. :metal:

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll still enjoy it, and I imagine even with AI assistance, there’s quite probably still a lot of work and his own thoughts gone into it.

Based on this album I think I may be ready to welcome our new AI simulated music overlords.

1 Like

This Voronoi album is brilliant. Seen reviews reference Meshuggah, Car Bomb and GoGo Penguin. Not sure quite how much Meshuggah I hear there. Along with the EP from Broken Suns, there’s been some monumental weekend listening.

4 Likes

Have you heard any of the Cameron Graves - Seven album? Not quite as heavy, but that to me really has a ‘jazz Meshuggah’ sound in places. I think Meshuggah might even be one of his fave bands.

1 Like

No, not familiar with Cameron Graves, though it seems he’s played on some Kamasi Washington records that I like. Thanks - I’ll check out Seven.

New Haiduk album coming in 2021

track from ‘demonicon’ (2015)

It’s a really great album, Pride is a just a brilliant song… It might even be up with frigid and spellbound as the best metal this year.

Complete support for the message and politics on it as well…

1 Like

Agreed. I’ve been listening to it more over the past few days and it’s just brilliant. Glad someone else enjoyed it.

Blacked hardcore from Lithuanian. This is a lot more brutal than their first album :open_mouth: And that was pretty full on!

1 Like

This Brutus stream from Dunk Festival is sounding as excellent as I’d expect. Fantastic band. Stream’s up until midnight Sunday apparently. Two new songs.

1 Like

Haven’t been able to organise my thoughts very well recently but a few things i’ve been meaning to post…all metal this time

Nordgeist - Frostwinter

Siberian atmospheric black metal. Really been enjoying this one. Very frostbitten, some good furious tremolo picking black metal into nice ambient. Heard it all before but done very well

Kekht Arakh - Pale Swordsman

The cover gives you a clue as to what to expect from this depressing Ukrainian raw black metal. Probably best to avoid if you’re not a fan of ‘lo-fi’ production. Strangely beautiful in places though. One of those sounds i absolutely love when it’s done right/clicks and this one has done it.

Oryx - Lamenting a Dead World

Slowing things down with some filthy sludgy death/black doom (maybe!) Pretty rotten sounding but some killer riffs wrapped up in a oppressive atmosphere. The last track is a beast.

1 Like

There’s been a lot of hype about this one on the facebook group I’m in, the first time I tried it the low-fi production and the “vinyl sounds” put me off but I tried again last week and quite enjoyed it.

1 Like

These guys are releasing a new album end of the month, lead track sounds right up my street

Also, this new album of atmospheric black/blackgaze with orchestral and choral elements is really lovely

1 Like

With stuff like this i find it’s very much dependent on the time when i listen to it. Get the wrong moment and it doesn’t work at all. It needs to get hold of you! This has very much done it for me

1 Like

Wow that doesn’t hold back eh?

1 Like

Very much enjoying Voronoi so far, thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Their first album is great but this is :open_mouth:

1 Like