Rolling Heavy Music Thread 2021

There’s some hugely epic tracks on that new Panopticon album. Two spins in and loving it so far. Anyone heard this yet?

2 Likes

Yeah was listening yesterday, first time I have heard them, it’s very good! Seems to be no physical formats left anywhere, obviously they were only a secret to me!

1 Like

I ordered the vinyl back in March, so I’m trying to resist dipping into the streams until it arrives and I can sit down for a proper listen. I think they’re great though, and Roads To The North in particular is one of my favourite records.

1 Like

Yeah i really liked this one also. I’ll have to check the new one out. I find him a bit hit and miss overall

1 Like

I’m going through the Download line up as my friends are trying to get me to go.
It’s making me feel very old. The line up is also shit compared to the last time I went.

Looking at that line up I would only be marginally interested by AA Williams, Electric Wizard and maybe Deftones. Maybe Maiden as I’ve never actually seen them live but then I’ve not been interested in anything of theirs since Powerslave!

apart from always wanting to see Maiden because they’re maiden there is literally nothing there aside from Electric Wizard. Last time i went (2012 maybe, 11) for a stag do it was still great. Very muddy but great. Don’t think i’d ever camp again but would day ticket for the right line up (which this isn’t :smiley: )

1 Like

If you ever get the chance (i reckon they’ll tour next year maybe) then do it - so so much fun and have never been disappointing for me at least. The springsteen of metal! their tour cycle seems to be new lp tour followed by some kind of greatest hits focusing on a certain era tour so if you go to the latter i’m about 95% sure you would enjoy it!

3 Likes

I’ve seen Maiden live a few times and the only time it wasn’t good was when they decided to play the new album start to finish. That was pretty boring, but the last 30 minutes were as amazing as usual.
I’m just glad I didn’t pay for the ticket.

2 Likes

I’ll keep my eye out. I regularly used to watch my VHS copy of Live After Death back in the day, “Scream for me Long Beach!!”

2 Likes

This album’s a blast! From their Bandcamp page “The four-man band harken back to the traditional and technical thrash metal of the late 1980’s, bringing it up to date by fusing it with black metal blast beats, death metal growls and grandiose prog rock concepts. The result is modern in its concoction, yet retro in its appeal; a style the band itself has dubbed hyperthrash.”

They’re a great band / man. One of the more reliably consistent BM acts and plenty of variety in their releases which is great for me as I find BM can get a bit samey without other dynamics and sounds thrown in

You’re in for a treat! He’s done a great job of blending the Americana influences into the songs and there’s some impressive melodic passages as well. It’s a lengthy beast at 1hr 10 but the epicness totally drew me in for the duration

1 Like

Another day, another black metal recommendation! Zeegang from The Netherlands released this last month (title translates as “The Poetry of Falling Snow”), a swirling blizzard of atmospheric walls of buzzing guitar, prominent bass and captivating melodies. My only criticism is it’s a bit rawer and lo-fi than I usually enjoy but other than that it’s top notch!

This might be good in September assuming it goes ahead. Svalbard, Conjuror, A.A.Williams and more at The Brudenell

Might? That looks amazing!

2 Likes

Djin are alright aren’t they? Can’t properly place them but think i know 'em. Do they sound a bit like a happier mastodon or something, i can’t remember.

But yeah, looks decent enough!

1 Like

do you mean Pijn? They did that split with Conjuror, Curse These Metal Hands that sounded a lot like old Baroness/Mastodon. Not heard any of their own stuff.

1 Like

so used to being circumspect about stuff these days! Yes it will no doubt be great, I might get myself a ticket, it’s only £20, got to be worth a punt

2 Likes

Pijn are an ok post metal band on cd, they were fantastic when I saw them live.

2 Likes