Rolling Heavy Music Thread 2023

in russia!

well, not exclusively

remember quite liking this a while back…

1 Like

Got an email about it from BC but haven’t got around to listening to it yet, his last one didn’t really grab me tbh, possibly a bit too dense, but I will give this a go.

1 Like

yeah, think i picked it up on an email from Olhava via bandcamp. Dense is the word but there seemed to be some lightness on this one…

1 Like

not 'core but there are a couple of buddhist themed BM albums I’m aware of, both pretty good actually especially Sadhaka

2 Likes

oh man, I have not even heard most of those bands before, I’ve got a lot of gems to discover

1 Like

Its a good column, every month they do a top 10 of the month - theres also a hardcore one

1 Like

I used to love Stereogum, but found every time I visited I wouldn’t leave with a new album recommendation, maybe I’ll use it more often

1 Like

this is some good pure Asphyx worship

2 Likes

Look at those two columns, get some new stuff every month

1 Like

cheers, i’ll get that on today at some point

Argentinian death metally crust. They can write a banger to get your head nodding. This helped me round the dog walk this morning

Still working through the best of 2022 stuff and come across Morrow, which I think has its roots in Fall of Erfarfa. It’s properly good - fast punky hardcore skramzy etc, all the goodness

1 Like

The Metal column on Stereogum is pretty much the only thing on there I read anymore. Chainey’s preambles are long but he owns his dorkiness so much it’s really endearing. Discovered a lot of great music through it too.

1 Like

Cut it down to 41 + Tomb Mold whose discography I’ve already gone through. Some acts like Oranssi Pazuzu and Deathspell Omega I’ve bounced off of in the past but may be more my speed now. Time to start digging in. Still have to check for potential wrong’uns, I learned my lesson from when I got into Black Metal. Revisited Morbid Angel with my breakfast and got Mortal Throne of Nazarene by Incantation on now mmmmmm

Summary

Alaric, Anna von Hausswolff, Atramentus, Axis of Despair, Castevet, Cerebral Rot, Cobalt, Cryptic Shift, Daeva, Dead World, Deathspell Omega, Downfall of Gaia, Ensared, Extremity, GGGOLDDD, Gutvoid, Howls of Ebb, Humanfly, Incantation, Krallice, Krypts, Malthusian, Mammoth Grinder, Miasmal, Mindrot, Mortification, Mortuous (thanks @Caedus), Old Man Gloom, Old Tower, Oranssi Pazuzu, Ossuarium, Semipiternal Dusk, Tzompantli, Vasaeleth, Vassafor, Venenum, Voidceremony, W.O.R.M., Wayfarer

1 Like

Cult of Fire are sick

1 Like

I’d avoid Deathspell Omega if you don’t want to come across wrong’uns, tbh.

4 Likes

had just started their album so this was well timed! gonna look into it, thanks. :slight_smile:

i’d give these a pass to be honest. Really pisses me off how the mainstream press continues to cite them as great/innovative BM when its been known for ages how wrong they are. Mikko Apsa is involved who is HEAVILY linked to NS bullshit. Another project Clandestine Blaze has awful lyrics, and he runs Northern Silence which is a dodgy label. Doesn’t take long to get there from google if you look him up but here’s a lengthy piece…

I’ve been toying with doing a Morbid Angel thread at some point! I’ve really been enjoying Blessed are the Sick this past year. Such a good album.

THat’s a good list of bands :slight_smile: Some for me to check out also. Of those listed, i have heard and think these are excellent…

Cobalt (Gin being one of the best USBM albums ever)
Atramentus (when you have the time!)
Krallice (make my head hurt but really are excellent)
Mammoth Grinder (as much fun as the name suggests. Last LP was surprisingly great still)
Old Man Gloom (No, or Seminar III probs my favourite.)
Worm - not sure if the same one but the black/death/doom one who did foreverglade and bluenothing are exceptional!

Tomb Mold are phenomenal also - can’t wait for the next one as they have just got better and better.

BANGER!

Cryptworm are pretty ace also

and Vaucous

who were mentioned a few times last year but are great

1 Like

That’s the one!
Deathspell are sacked, thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keep meaning to get Planetary Clairvoyance on vinyl, might make it a payday purchase if it is in stock anywhere.

Second the Vacuous rec, absolutely love their album despite not being a huge death metal guy. Celestial Sanctuary are also decent in the newish British death metal vein, but from what I gather are pretty derivative.

1 Like