Rolling international club football 18/19 thread

Sod’s law La Liga would become an interesting league the only season nobody’s watching it.

Eredivisie week 12

Ajax demolish Excelsior at Woudestein by scoring 7 in an hour. Goals by Van De Beek (x2), Schöne, Dolberg, Schouten, Ziyech and Neres.I had the choice to go to this game or Arsenal v Wolves. I choose wrong.

Elsewhere PSV have no issues with De Graafschap (4 - 1) and Feyenoord defeat 4th place Heracles (2 - 0), so no changes at the top of the league.

International break next weekend and Oranje will play France on Friday, and Germany on Monday, both fixtures courtesy of the UEFA Nations League… The Eredivisie is back on Saturday 24 November.

Really like Cork City’s away jersey for next season.

Basically Fulham innit?

Similar enough. I doubt that Adidas offer a huge variety of shirt templates every year.

Really enjoy that they’re sponsored by my alma mater AND Clonakilty Sausages. From the sublime to the ridiculous.

Kobenhavn vs Midtjylland was fun tonight, home side won 2-1. was a top of the table clash with both level on points and 10 points clear of 3rd so kind of a big deal i guess in Danish football terms, bit of a shame that the stadium wasn’t even half full, and part of the ground seems to be an office block rather than a stand, but the great bunch of Danish lads behind one end made a decent atmosphere.

the match itself was decent. quality wasn’t great, Midtjylland looked technically better but did fuck all with it, Kobenhavn seemed slightly more direct and seemed more effective. Kobenhavn’s first goal was a penalty, didn’t look like one to me but was scored via the post. Midtjylland’s equaliser looked like a cheeky flick from a free kick but was actually an own goal by Jan Gregus, who we dubbed Greg when he came on and immediately became his number one fans as i’d given up supporting ex-Brentford player Andreas Bjelland on account of him being shit. Greg then won the game with a shot from 20+ yards out that flew in, keeper didn’t even move. only on for like half an hour and scored at both ends, well played Greg :clap: 2-1 was probably a fair result in the end, home side edged it for me

i reckon if you’re in Copenhagen and there’s a match on then worth popping down :+1:

Eredivisie week 13

Ajax and PSV continue to steamroller the league with identical wins: 3 - 0 against NAC and Heerenveen respectively. Third place Feyenoord win as well but they are 13 points off the top with a game in hand.

Ajax will travel to Athens to play pointless AEK in the early Champions League kick-off on Tuesday. A win will guarantee qualification for the knock out phase, although depending the result in the other game a draw or even a loss may suffice.

PSV host Barcelona on Wednesday. A win for the Eindhovenaars may help Spurs in their struggle to qualify for the next CL round, but it equally may result in Spurs finishing bottom.

Eredivisie week 14

The big upset we’ve all been waiting for has finally happened: PSV drop points. In a tumultuous game the league leaders are beaten 2 -1 away at Feyenoord, despite the home team missing veteran striker Van Persie.

Ajax continue their chase for the league trophy* by beating ADO Den Haag 5 - 1, which means the gap at the top has narrowed to two points.

Feyenoord are still 8 points behind Ajax but will play their game in hand (the abandoned match due to failing floodlights) this Thursday to try and narrow that gap to 5.

*) no trophy in the Eredivisie, it’s more like a shiny wheel cap

Eredivisie week 15

PSV hammer Excelsior by 6 goals on Friday night, and Ajax take it easy as well away in Zwolle, where they beat PEC by 4 goals to 1, scoring all 5 goals of the night in the process. De Ligt narrowly escapes a sending off in the first 10 minutes for a last-ditch tackle but his fate is saved by VAR and the referee. The gap at the top remains 2 points.

Ajax will play Bayern on Wednesday at home, with both teams already qualified.Ajax will finish top if they win, otherwise it’ll be the Germans.

PSV travel to Milan to play Inter, and they have already been eliminated. However, this game is important for Spurs. The Italian club lost at Tottenham on matchday five, meaning they are level with the English club on seven points – but Spurs hold the head-to-head advantage on away goals. Inter will finish second if they pick up more points than Spurs manage away to group winners Barcelona.

Forgot about this yesterday

Eredivisie week 16

Ajax are having a laugh: 8 - 0 at home against De Graafschap. Hattricks for Ziyech and Man Utd reject Blind. PSV have little trouble with Heracles and record a 4 - 0 win although it should be noted that the hosts finished the game with only 9 players on the pitch due to two sending offs. Third placed Feyenoord are not so lucky, they mess up against Fortuna Sittard at home (2 - 0 loss) and are now 10 points behind the leaders.

Eredivisie week 17

Ajax return from the Galgenwaard with another win in their pocket: 3 - 1 against FC Utrecht. PSV achieve an identical result when beating AZ so no changes at the top. Third place Feyenoord can only manage a 2 - 2 draw with ADO Den Haag and their season looks well and truly over.

The Dutch, like so many on the continent, now take their well-deserved winter stop. The Eredivisie will return on 18 January 2019.

Eredivisie week 18

The winterstop is over and immediately the league goes a bit bonkers

Ajax missed their chance to go top as leaders PSV could only manage a 2 - 2 draw against debutant FC Emmen. The Amsterdammers, at home against Heerenveen, missed first choice goalie Andre Onana through illness and it showed as backup Kostas Lamprou had to retrieve the ball four times from his own net. Tadic missed his penalty in the first half and Ajax had a very lucky escape in the second half as referee Serdar Gözübüyük refused to award a nailed-on penalty to Heerenveen. Final result: 4 - 4.

Ajax and Heerenveen will have a rematch on Thursday, as it is the quarter final of the Dutch FA Cup. Expect plenty of goals.