Rolling international club football 18/19 thread

Barca Girona is fun. Harsh VAR call to send Lenglet off imo, an example of slo-mo/stills distorting the incident.

Eredivisie week 6

Nothing to report. Ajax are second in the table. See you next week.

1 Like

Oooooft.

One point from four for Barça off Girona and Leganes.

1 Like

Leverkusen v Dortmund
Roma v Lazio
Juve v Napoli
Real v Atleti.

Ooooooft.

1 Like

Hertha vs Bayern tonight as well who are the top 2 so got some tasty potential that, you also missed the Hamburg derby on Sunday which is going to be great :smile:

1 Like

Eredivisie week 7

The red mist descends. Six sending offs this weekend, including for Premier League legend Robin Van Persie following a bad tackle in the final minutes of Feyenoord’s home game against Vitesse. This may well mean no Klassieker for RVP. Their opponents received 2 reds, plus a broken leg for forward Tim Matavz.

Ajax had no trouble with Fortuna Sittard away, and saw the league return of Kasper Dolberg who scored the second goal after Ziyech’s opened the score. All looking good for tomorrow’s Champions League battle away at Bayern Munich.

PSV won as well, so no changes at the top of the table.

3 Likes

Sancho’s a £50m player already. Genuinely think he could go on to be one of the world’s very best footballers. I’ve heard the argument that City were powerless to stop him going because he’d ran his deal down and he was stinking the training ground out attitude-wise. Always suspected that was a bit of PR on their part regards the latter at least, but both of those issues are surely a result of a lack of minutes. They could have easily given him 15-20 cup games, dead rubbers and sub appearances.

Really exciting from an England point of view. I could easily see him jumping ahead of Rashford, Lingard and maybe even Sterling for England by the end of this season. A team featuring Sancho, Maddison, Barkley if he maintains his form and maybe Foden could be pretty oooooft.

2 Likes

Got a bit of insomnia…so I’ve been looking into how easy it would be to watch some la liga/serie a tomorrow. Turns out a 7 day free trial at eleven sports will do just nicely… £5.99 a month after that is great value, especially for someone who doesn’t have Sky/BT.

Seems to have more games from Spain rather than Italy? Would’ve been a bigger issue last year, as serie a was fascinating…but it looks more like a Juve procession this year ( although, in terms if narrative, its a difficult league to beat). Could be a fascinating la liga year, especially if someone takes advantage of below par Real/Barca. Valencia - Barca tomorrow is huge

There isn’t a standout team in Europe this season. Napoli, Bayern, Barça, Madrid have all gone backwards a bit. Not seen enough of City or Liverpool but they both probably overachieved last year. Seems madness not to be piling on Juventus or Atleti for the Champions League. Gut feeling is the latter.

Haven’t atleti had a pretty uninspiring start as well though, can’t see past Juve or Barca personally

Reckon this could be an opening for Liverpool or City. Or annoyingly, PSG.

As of right now Juventus look by far the strongest. But predictions made in October would’ve looked very daft for most of the recent winners, and Bayern/PSG have shown that going unchallenged in domestic competition isn’t beneficial for big European games

Godin has been weirdly really out of sorts for Atleti this season, and Costa’s been through a long drought in the league. I’d fancy either of them to step up for two-legged knockouts, but if not they’ve got no chance.

Also think sounds like Barca/Messi are really focused on it as a priority this season, and the performance against Spurs as a response to their recent form underlined their potential. Complacency and fatigue have been their undoing in recent seasons, and it doesn’t seem like either will be a major factor this year. Messi can win them it by himself if he steps up in the major games

Bayern losing at home to Monchengladbach and now Barcelona behind at Valencia…

Atleti were pretty out of sorts today from my view as well…

6 Likes

Scum club. Nice stadiums :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

4 goals in 13 min for Mbappe

They’re eight points clear already. Genuinely think he’s better than Neymar. In fact, i think there’s an argument that he’s currently the world’s second best footballer.

Monaco have won one game so far.

1 Like

Yeah, agree on all points. Might have to leave PSG to be recognised as the best in the world though

personally, in terms of who I’d prefer to be on my team, Mbappe comes above Messi.

haven’t seen a player as exciting as him since Ronaldo/Messi, probably.

He’ll go to Real with a big-name manager next summer, surely? Doubt they’d have gone for Lopetegui had they been able to secure a big-name replacement for Ronaldo. Him as a sort of placeholder coach followed by a £400m splodge i’d have thought.

Eredivisie week 8

Ajax continued their excellent run and destroyed AZ in a 5 - 0 goalfest at home. Losing manager John van den Brom described his team’s performance as stupid and child-like. Ajax had such an easy day that they allowed 18 year old centreback Perr Schuurs to make his league debut.

Elsewhere PSV have no problems with VVV (4 - 0) but Feyenoord dropped points against Willem II as they could only manage a measly 1 - 1 draw. This means that Ajax now have a 2 point buffer in second place, but they are still chasing PSV who are 5 points ahead.

Next up is the international break with Holland playing Germany (on Saturday) and Belgium (on Tuesday 16th). The Eredivisie is back in action on 20 October when Ajax are away at Heerenveen.