Rolling jazz chat

Been thoroughly enjoying these two big band/free jazz albums

Angles 9

Cath Roberts (Sloth Racket) combo

Thank you for the suggestions. As I watched Big Mouth over Christmas I started with the Duke Ellington album!

tasty biscuits from Nubya and friends. Exciting drumming

ah and this from the same comp (released 9th Feb) is also amaaazing.

Ugly Beauty is a great column and the newest one has loads of interesting stuff

had Nduduzo Makhathini on this morning, great spiritual afro jazz, good vocal stuff going on

This guy gets mentioned too, Marquis Hill, and I listened to his Meditation Tape which is chilled hip hop jazz crossover stuff with some bloke talking about cosmic spiritual enlightenment at points

i think i am becoming a smooth jazz wanker, as i can’t stop listening to this album

it’s perfect reading/working music but it’s also just… really lovely

is that Moses Boyd on drums?

Yeah pretty sure it is.

I don’t think of it as “smooth jazz” in the elevator-music kind of way, but I guess it is smooth and frankly, most of Pat Metheny’s music is just breathtaking music at times.

New Kneebody:

Does this count as jazz? It does in my book.

This is lovely.

On a sort of tangent, the LA Big Band did a great album of Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays covers. There is some absolutely ridiculous playing on it. It’s all kinda polished and big-bandy but can’t help but really enjoy it.

if i could only listen to one album for the rest of my life it would be ‘live-evil’

Miles_Davis_Live-Evil

Miles Davis - In a silent way - incredible stuff…finally checked it out…seems to start laying down the first stepping stones that lead to On The Corner…there’s a deep rolling head-nodding vibe to it with those restless creative flourishes…love the way it all unfolds…early days but its got to be threatening at least a podium position of my favourite Jazz LPs - vying with the likes of A Love Supreme, Love for Sale, Shape of things and The Bridge

Aah so that’s what an SJW is?! :wink:

new Sons of Kemet is gonna make me do myself a mischief

Damnit, read DiS Jazz as DaS Jizz.

Loving the fact that Shabaka has signed to Impulse as well.

Hey all, first-time poster here!

Just came across this thread whilst browsing and wanted to share a new British jazz playlist that a friend and I put together earlier this week. Loads of stuff in here from Moses Boyd, Nubya Garcia, Shabaka Hutchings (Sons of Kemet, Comet Is Coming, Melt Yourself Down etc. too), Yussef Kamaal, Yazmin Lacey etc.

Ta, will give it a try.

Is anyone going to either of the Sun Ra Arkestra shows in Brighton later this year?