Rolling Little Simz Thread

The more certain I am that it’s one of the greatest hip hop records of all time.

CHANGE MY MIND (dont)

3 Likes

Definitely one of the albums of this year so far, though I probably wouldn’t go as far as this.

2 Likes

It’s great imo

I’ve listened to this album, so I know what I’m talking about

It’s better than OK Computer

2 Likes

I dunno I consider the likes of Pimp A Butterfly and Good Kid Mad City up there and I’m enjoying this everybit as much as those

It is a very good album.

4 Likes

It’s great. When it’s at its best (Sherbert Sunset, Offence, Selfish, Wounds) it is sublime, but I think it is let down by a few weaker tracks. Will almost certainly be in my top 10 of the year anyway.

3 Likes

My shit take is that this album and when she released Offence as a single reminds me of when Pusha T came out with Numbers on the Board. Just an intake of breathe that the production had really been taken up a notch to next level stuff. I know Pusha obviously had Clipse behind him and a previous solo track record but yeah it is a real marker for her anyway.

1 Like

There are a couple of tracks that just aren’t generally my thing stylistically but I think at 10 tracks/35 mins it’s a case of me being able to appreciate those tracks as excellent examples of what they are doing. And after a few listens I actually really like it all and the overall flow of the album and if it didn’t have that variety it probably wouldn’t be as strong overall. So I dunno - not quite perfect but honestly it feels pretty close.

Just discovered it. Its fucking amazing

1 Like

Something that hits on the first listen and makes you want to immedatly put it on again to unpack the songs a bit more

5 Likes

:hugs:

I really like it. There’s just a few bits where it loses a bit of momentum I think, I would have preferred it to be completely hard edged throughout.

This has been a good year for British hip hop because the Dave and Slowthai albums are really good too.

2 Likes

Thats fair although I think I actually prefer the softer tracks

For some reason it’s become a common thing for British hip hop records to have tracks on that sound more pop or R&B. I think it shows a lack of confidence in the harder material. For me it ruins the flow of records. I think the Slowthai album is actually the best of the bunch because it pretty much never lets up.

When I voted it as my album of the month, I called it as the best UK Hip Hop record since Boy in Da Corner or Arular. It’s definitely the real deal. I know what you mean about the softer RnB tracks - but they are growing on me. It’s light to the shade. Mercury written all over it, I might place my bet now.

1 Like

One thing I am trying to figure out though…
Producer credits go to Inflo - on wikipedia that’s credited to someone called Dean Josiah Cover. Who worked with Michael Kiwanuka on Love Hate:

Yet I have read articles else where, like this one:

Which namechecks Alex Baronowski (a classical composer) as Inflo.
I have also seen articles that cite Alex Baronowski as working with Michael Kiwanuka - as well as Justice.

Are there two Inflos - and have some dumb ass journalists got the wrong end of the stick? Or are Alex Baronowski and Dean Joshua Cover the same person?

Answers on a postcard.

Further research…

This is Dean Joshua Cover winning his Ivor Novello award for Love Hate.
407F0DB700000578-4519090-Posing_in_style_Nathan_Burke_accepted_a_gong_behalf_of_Dean_Infl-a-5_1495127643975

And this is Alex Baranowski - namechecked as being Inflo, and working with Little Simz, Kiwanuka and Justice in countless publications. WTF?

Doh! Sorry - not Justice - I meant Jungle!

Whoever he is, the fact that he has worked with The Kooks, Michael Kiwanuka and Jungle presents a bit of a credibility issue in my eyes.