Rolling Motorsport Thread 2023 (F1 etc.) 🏁 🏎 🏍

I’d extend that to pretty much every F1 news site comments section TBH

1 Like

Ditto.

Shambles.

Overshadowed some good racing.

Again.

Making it difficult to engage, tbh.

yeah this is something that has annoyed me many, many times over the last few years, they really need to amend their tv guides when the races go over time

nad it’s in their interests to do it cos if I turn on to watch a replay then get spoilered, I’m probs not gonna watch = less good for advert £££

Yep no excuse for it these days, so easy to update when there are delays.

Ended up watching the YouTube highlights F1 put out, a very messy race. Although because of the changes at the end the outcome was different to what I’d seen

I accidentally found out who won as I saw a headline when looking up the snooker score

I’m almost glad that happened though cos otherwise I’d have just been disappointed

1 Like

Ignoring for the moment whether the first two red flags were justified or not, standing restarts following red flags are a dumb idea. They were a dumb idea when they were first introduced and remain a dumb idea now.

Red flags are used for when there is a dangerous situation that needs to be dealt with, it makes zero sense to then follow that up by recreating the most dangerous part of the race purely for :poop: :poop: and giggles in the hope of shaking things up a bit. It should be a rolling restart although why every time F1 attempts one we have the spectacle of half of the 20 “best drivers” in the world almost rear ending the other half is a mystery. Dozens of lesser championships manage rolling restarts perfectly well.

Restarts should be about getting the race back underway safely and as fairly as possible. All of the time gaps have been wiped out, that’s enough of an advantage.

Were the red flags justified?
3rd red - definitely.
2nd red - probably. If there were chunks of magnesium wheel hub all over the track then that was going to need sorting.
1st red - This looked like an overly cautious call by race control but I kind of see their point of view. If you throw the safety car you will get people diving into the pits (which is exactly what happened). Now rather than having all the cars together on the track where you can manage them you have a number off the back who are pushing to catch up. This makes the marshals job way more difficult and given the erosion in respect for double yellows in F1 also much more dangerous.

1 Like

standing starts are liked because they create drama, which the organisers feel the need to do due to a lack of competition

there’s no way they’ll stop them unless they can be convinced that they’re too dangerous, and on a dry track I don’t think they are - if a standing start can be done safely once, it can be done another time too

if they’re so dangerous that doing it twice is dangerous, how can you justify doing it once?

also pls don’t use the word dumb it’s ableist

Like that Masi was there this weekend. Hope everybody has lots of conspiracy theories to fill the next 4 (FOUR) weeks

Between bad stewarding and youthful impetuousness, am pretty sure that someone’s going to get killed in a junior formula race this year.

Red flag should surely have been called the second that car was back on the track.

Should have been thrown when the crash first happened after the attempted restart the lap before. Race ends under red after three further, entirely separate crashes.

1 Like

I like how the actual red flag is basically just arbitrarily thrown :smiley:

1 Like

Awful news. RIP

1 Like

Really sad news. He always came across as really enthusiastic and engaging whenever he was interviewed.

1 Like

Gasly’s mechanics

ray donovan omg GIF by Sky

1 Like

Lot of foam in that air intake

Just seen what else he has done :grimacing:

same time to 3 decimal places is ALWAYS great

but fuck, wish Charles had done it first!

sprint shootout then, new format again!

Big hit for Sargeant. Williams will be seething.

Wasn’t expecting much from Sargent and De Vries but they’ve been very underwhelming.