The new one yes, not so much the old one. I was actually pleasantly surprised by Cranekiss. I really miss Rex Shelverton’s guitar (and I wish he’d find a new female vocalist to pair it with, his band Bellavista doesn’t really do it for me), but it was a better album than Tender New Signs. The Waves still trounces all of it though.
I went to an album launch for Cranekiss and was a little…underwhelmed. Love both The Waves and Tender New Signs. That said, went with my sister who was completely unfamiliar with her work and she absolutely loved it so maybe I was just seeing everything through too much of a shoegaze filter.
Interestingly, apparently Kelly Lee Owens was support which I do not remember whatsoever. Her album is fairly gazey at points
It’s definitely got a strong first half (and the back end is pretty good too). Best not to think of it as a Tamaryn album. I like that KLO album, good stuff. Have you tried White Poppy? Excellent gauzy stuff:
Very nice. Very atmospheric - particularly when it goes fully instrumental
Debrider had a new very good mini-album a few days ago…
New Be Forest in February…
Fawns of Love released a terrific LP, Who Cares About Tomorrow in 2017 and have followed that up with their second album, released today, which is just as sweet.
Thanks mate - great list of your own too… Can’t believed I missed Slowdive seeing as its my favourite LP of this decade and easily my favourite shoegaze LP since the millenium!
Ringo DeathStarr, Spotlight Kid and Cheatahs all were very dear to me and unlucky to miss out. Also liked Tamaryn and Mahogany and some of Engineers. Yet to hear Panda Riot I confess.
CORRECTION (thanks FunkyCow)
- Slowdive - Slowdive (can’t believe I forgot!)
- MBV - MBV (not for everyone but even MBV not at their best are far better than most)
- Amusement Parks on Fire - Amusement Parks on Fire
- Mew - Frengers (I think it counts just about…tenuous I know)
- Manitoba/Caribou - Up In Flames (always thought that this is very gazey in places)
- Radio Dept - Lesser Matters
- Film School - Film School (not as shoegazey as their later stuff but I’m allowing it cos I love it)
- Weekend - jinx
- Astrobrite - Crush
- The Fauns - Lights
Another strong list - I Break Horses’ debut was close for me - a real sugar-rush of LP
Won’t do a list, because half of it would be Ringo Deathstarr albums. Aside from them and a bunch of others already mentioned — Tamaryn, The Radio Dept., Autolux and APTBS, if we’re counting them — here are some not mentioned thus far:
Blonde Redhead — 23
Maps — We Can Create
The Horrors — Primary Colours
Mentalease — Living Dream
Anyone here like Planning For Burial? They’re on the heavier side of Shoegaze but I’ve just discovered them. Some pretty bleak stuff.
I’m having trouble coming up with a list too for the same reasons other people are having, so I’ll highlight a few that haven’t been mentioned yet.
- Silversun Pickups - Pikul - I’ve already written a lot about it so I won’t say much here other than it’s a really such a special album and I have no idea why it isn’t more highly regarded.
- Silversun Pickups - Carnavas - This does everything that I find missing in other shoegaze albums. Every second, every transition, every deployment of noise is perfectly calculated. Again, I have no idea why this band is so overlooked, I’d take this album and Pikul over anything I’ve heard from the original shoegaze run, including Loveless.
- Billy Corgan - The Future Embrace - It’s dismissed as a joke for some reason by many people, but I think it’s a warbly electro-shoegaze classic. I genuinely don’t hear what seems to inspire so much hatred, it’s fantastic.
- Nothing - Guilty of Everything - The outro to B&E is pretty much everything I want out of the genre.
Oh and on the heavier end:
Deafheaven - New Bermuda - I heard this for the first time a couple months ago and it’s already a best of the decade candidate.
Jesu - Silver EP - One of my favorite recommendations from the Melodic, Aggressive Shoegaze thread.
Both are incredible and kind of make you feel really bad.
The biggest problem with the Silver ep is that nothing else Jesu did could top it. It’s the sound perfected in 4 songs.
But what great songs.
Forgot about this dude, despite rinsing this album at the time (and the following two tbf) and following him on Twitter - new album coming this year apparently
Those first three aren’t underrated or dismissed by me. Admittedly, I left them out when doing my list, but only due to doubts over eligibility. I’m a big fan of Pikul, in particular.
Aurora by Slow Crush was one of my top 10 of last year and should be an excellent starting point for soundtracking your lace-staring.
This had somehow passed me by, I’m a few listens in and loving it. That closer is so hypnotic.