Rolling Shoegaze / Dreampop / Slowcore Thread

Yeah, standard thought process of 2hrs to Leeds or 3hrs to MCR or Glasgow. Hmph.

1 Like

Has anyone heard Rachika Nayar? Some tracks from a forthcoming album on YouTube, a couple with the wonderful Maria bc. Here’s the best one. Difficult to describe but sounds amazing cranked up really high. I’ve ordered the gold vinyl from Norman Records and she’s playing Cafe Oto next month.

5 Likes

From earlier this year. Psych with heavy guitars. Vocals make it sound like protomartyr at times

One of the guys from 65daysofstatic has a new ep out. I’m surprised that it’s shoegaze. It’s taken a few listens to get into but it’s good stuff.
For the life of me I can’t work out who the woman singing reminds me of…

1 Like

finally got round to listening to Wings of Joy properly this week - I knew a couple of the tracks already from indie comps - what can I say; great album and you’re right about Just Mustard - surely they must be an influence for JM (who were incidentally great last month in London - proper noisy let the wall of sound wash over you stuff while being grateful for earplugs)

2 Likes

I’m sorry - I know this a bit of a JAG, but we stuck out a fuzzy shoegazey tune last week and it’s starting to garner some radio play (been on a bunch of DKFM shows, and was featured on the BBC Introducing show Saturday). I reckon it could scratch a few DiSrs shoegaze/dreampop itch

4 Likes

None of your stuff is on Qobuz so I forgot to check this out. Will change that now.

Yea, this is really good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!! I didn’t realise we weren’t on Qobuz, I’ll check further and see if we can get this added.

1 Like

Anyone heard the new Twen record? Seems pretty good so far. Her voice is astonishing.

1 Like

The Knifeplay album is out.

Lovely indie shoegaze, works best played loud.

5 Likes

Finally gave Just Mustard a proper listen this week. Had it in my bandcamp wishlist for a few weeks, and dipped in and out, attracted to the overall sound, but also feeling that maybe there wasn’t enough in the way of standout tracks to hook me in. I get this way nowadays where I need an album to have a couple of (for want of a more appropriate term) bangers to entice me to put it on. An interesting sound/mood just isn’t enough.

Ended up removing it from my list, but a friend mentioned it to me last weekend, so I thought I’d commit. It is very good, and thankfully there’s three standout tracks (In Shade, Sore and Still) which will hopefully tempt me to return to it enough to give it the attention it probably deserves.

Not sure I would’ve thought of it as shoegaze. I’ve decided to think of it as “no gaze” on the grounds that it is to new gaze as no wave is to new wave. My first impression was that there’s a bit of HTRK about it, but even more so it reminds me of Boris’s Attention Please.

2 Likes

This one is so, so good. I really like the album now and feel kind of similar to how you do about it / had a similar experience with letting it grow on me. A lot of it almost feels like pieces navigating their way through the air around each other before finally locking in to unleash for In Shade (to make a comparison for the few people who like Tool / the latest album, it’s kind of like how they structured everything around 7empest).

2 Likes

I did try with it (and enjoy the best tracks), but like the debut I struggle with whole album. Very early Cranes too.

1 Like

THis really is a cracking LP - thanks for the tip off :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like the album but I totally get what you’re saying about it being more of a mood piece then killer songs - though some do like you say hit home eventually on that level too. Live and loud too adds a layer of understanding. I do prefer though if anything their debut Wednesday which is certainly well worth checking if you are yet to.

2 Likes

Just having my first listen to Knifeplay - really like!

1 Like

This Knifeplay album is amazing folks.

2 Likes

Really tried (3 listens), but just too symphonic and whiny for me :frowning:

:smiley: Fair enough.