Rolling Shoegaze / Dreampop Thread

In case anyone missed the Slow Crush stream.

2 Likes

Just arrived. Really good.

1 Like

Mine’s late😖

Yep, really enjoying the Beachy Head album

2 Likes

The Joy Formidable have just announced a new one. Not strictly shoegaze maybe…but that way inclined. I managed to see them in a very small venue (well a bar) here in Reading by accident once.

Rough Trade have a nice sounding variant if you are that way inclined.

1 Like

On mobile in a meeting so haven’t got the link but a 5 year anniversary of Nothing- Tired of Tomorrow has come out on limited vinyl variants. Up on Relapse.

1 Like

Oh how I regret getting the black ine years ago, dammit!

1 Like

Don’t think I got black. Orange and grey if memory serves.

I think somewhere upthread someone mentionned South East of Saturn which showcases a remarkably strong shoegaze/space-rock 90s scene in Michigan…I had known of a few - Windy & Carl, Astrobrite (who I really like despite the MBV plagiarising) and Auburn Lull…but its really strong throughout and my favourite discovery is Thirsty Forest Animals - it seemed they re-released material for streaming and possibly downoad last year - self-titled…and I checked it out on Deezer…gorgeous stuff (9/10 from me)- echoes of Explosions in the Sky years before they were a going concern as if they were collobarating with Today Forever era Ride…just a shame this wasn’t released in physical format as its well worth of a re-release. But ordered the compilation which itself is strong throughout. Enjoyed being reminded of Auburn Lull and went down a rabbithole of rarities called Regions Less Parallel which is really beautiful semi-ambient dream-pop gaze…reminds me of Slowdive of the Pygmalion era.

3 Likes

…oh also…just a minor serendipitous coincidence apropos of not very much…I had started watching the film The Third Man last week and then I was listening to this comp and just before that Natalie Bergman’s Mercy LP (Not shoegaze but very good) and then realised they were both on the same label “Third Man records” …Jack White’s label - was a bit surprised by that …then of course figured Jack would have been growing up around this stuff…anyone kudos to the man for this relase…

Thanks for this! Me and a mate have got well into Nothing thanks to this thread. Have ordered and just hope it makes it to the UK!

2 Likes

Just Mustard did a livestream with some new song in the set. It sounds brilliant.

3 Likes

My pleasure. GoE is still my favourite. Was feeling quite disenchanted with music when it came out and it struck a chord with me. And seeing them play it live cemented my love for the band.

3 Likes

Love them, this is my favourite of theirs

3 Likes

Watching this now and enjoying the murky lighting- makes me miss live shows even more.

1 Like

Ooo I like this, not listened to anything like this in years! Most enjoyable thanks!

1 Like

Really loving the Fawning album, parts of it (see below) remind me of Cocteau Twins via the film Drive.

Whole albums is good, much better than I was expecting

A talk in the dark seem to be going dream pop on their new song.

1 Like

Hey that’s me playing guitar!

Laura’s own stuff is great too, she’s got a new album of her own coming soon

3 Likes

I feel like this record is being played from behind a velvet curtain, in a dreamily inaudible sense. Maybe others on this thread will appreciate…