Rolling Slight Green Shoots of Recovery from Fascism Thread (chat away)

3 Likes

Revenues up by 7% isn’t really a good sign.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Non-UK political happenings thread

Those vids of tommy R;'s campaigning when running away and hiding in police cars and getting told he’s an idiot

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1124985439348244481

4 Likes

yaxley such a whiny little twat

3 Likes

10 Likes

Egg Boy for president

9 Likes

:yarn::v:

https://www.ravelry.com/content/no-trump

Details

New Policy: Do Not Post In Support of Trump or his Administration

Sunday, June 23rd 2019

We are banning support of Donald Trump and his administration on Ravelry.

This includes support in the form of forum posts, projects, patterns, profiles, and all other content. Note that your project data will never be deleted. We will never delete your Ravelry project data for any reason and if a project needs to be removed from the site, we will make sure that you have access to your data. If you are permanently banned from Ravelry, you will still be able to access any patterns that you purchased. Also, we will make sure that you receive a copy of your data.

We cannot provide a space that is inclusive of all and also allow support for open white supremacy. Support of the Trump administration is undeniably support for white supremacy.

Policy notes:

• You can still participate if you do in fact support the administration, you just can’t talk about it here.
  • We are not endorsing the Democrats nor banning Republicans.
  • We are definitely not banning conservative politics. Hate groups and intolerance are different from other types of political positions.
  • We are not banning people for past support.
  • Do not try to weaponize this policy by entrapping people who do support the Trump administration into voicing their support.
  • Similarly, antagonizing conservative members for their unstated positions is not acceptable.

You can help by flagging any of the following items if they constitute support for Trump or his administration:

• Projects: Unacceptable projects will be provided to the member or made invisible to others.
  • Patterns: Unacceptable patterns will be returned to drafts.
  • Forum posts: right now, only posts written after Sunday, June 23rd at 8 AM Eastern
  • Profiles: Please do not flag profiles yet if the only banned content is an avatar or avatars. There is not yet a flagging system for those.

Much of this policy was first written by a roleplaying game site, not unlike Ravelry but for RPGs, named RPG.net. We thank them for their thoughtful work. For citations/references, see this post on RPG.net: New Ban: Do Not Post In Support of Trump or his Administration | RPGnet Forums

4 Likes
4 Likes

https://twitter.com/LouiseRawAuthor/status/1146793385925251072

I think the ‘milkshake thing’ worked even better than people hoped it would.

*less than 80 Stephen Yaxley Lennon fans

1 Like

Like the opposite of kelis’ milkshake (would’ve been better if it was at Scotland Yard)

1 Like

I’m pleased that SYL is in court because he’s a piece of shit, but it just feel like the same whack-a-facist-mole we had with Nick Griffin. The white supremacists loose one dickhead, they just learn from it and churn out a more palatable one and grow. Milky could go to jail forevermore but look at how the Brexit Party are polling, look how many of SYL’s views the two pricks vying to be prime minister are now parroting.

Sorry. We’re definitely going to win though, collective solidarity will soon spring up.

Yeah but it’s more like the opposite tbh. Griffin’s BNP polled 1M in a GE ten years ago, proper got their foot in. By comparison Yaxley polled 35K trying to grift an MEP slot this year. And I know the two aren’t directly comparable and ‘but Brexit… ’ etc but your street-level Brit fash types have grown exhausted. I’ve kept my eye on the EDL-type Facebook/Twitter pages for years and they’re all just pooped, worn out from it all, they look knackered. The real issue of course is who comes next and mainstream parties smuggling the same ideas in, but A. N. Other in the Griffin/Yaxley mold is a total non-starter. I mean even UKIP is a busted flush.

I mean I’m all for the ‘whack-a-mole’ idea as an argument but… nah they don’t learn and grow at all, that’s not what’s been happening.

There were about 80 people at Yaxley’s trial yesterday.

I think the interesting thing here is that while Stephen Yaxley was probably in many ways a natural successor to Nick Griffin’s “respectable” racist - pushing the boundaries of ‘acceptability’ and utilizing social media to try and force success where Griffin failed - the justice system’s refused to turn a blind eye to his antics and the push back from most areas of the public have shown that whoever follows him is going to have to martyr themselves in a similar way or soften their tactics. It’s not going to change his follower’s views, but I suspect it’s going to discourage too many from taking up the mantle and hopefully reduce the likelihood of his successor (there’s always someone) getting the same level of success/coverage and hopefully push the movement back underground.

1 Like

UKIP and now the Brexit Party occupy much of the same space that the BNP did, in terms of policy and culture, so I don’t think that the media have learned about no platforming - they’re actively encouraging their legitimisation.

UKIP, yes, the Brexit party I’d disagree on. They’re racist, and it feels grubby judging degrees of racism, but they’re not publicly advocating Islamophobia and repatriation from the very top of the party as actual policy like Griffin and Batten were.