Rolling Star Wars Thread

4 Likes

This is kind of old news for old gits like me because they had him survive Sarlacc back in the 90s when they were writing all those extended universe books that started with the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn. It was goofy even then but there was always a section of the fan base just obsessed with loving Boba Fett.

I believe it’s rooted at least partly in the run up to ESB where his character was in the cartoon segment from the Christmas Special (it’s available standalone on D+) and then his figure appeared and was very cool but I think most people never saw the Christmas Special so all they had was this amazing figure without any idea if he was a good guy or a bad guy until the film finally appeared.

Then in RotJ he goes out in a really goofy way. Most of my mates were never happy with it. I thought it was a bit off but didn’t really care as for me he was always just a bad guy. Using Jango in AotC was obviously an acknowledgement of the character’s place in fandom’s heart but yeah, according to the books he survived and they de-canonised that but I guess they all still loved it - Jon Faverau is entirely from that generation that always thought he was great character that was wasted, I think.

2 Likes

Forest Whitaker!!! Now they’ve got my attention. S5 of The Shield is still some of the greatest TV ever made.

1 Like

sorry to tell you this, but that’s what clone wars does

4 Likes

this looks so fucking good

1 Like

Hype thread here

1 Like

I can’t be expected to watch that, there’s loads of it

3 Likes

yeah but it’s way better than all the prequels and you’ve watched them! better than solo, bobby fetch, rise of palpatine has returned somehow

2 Likes

If nothing else I’d recommend everyone do a quick wiki read on The Clone Wars before the final season and then watch the final season in full.

It’s great and happens alongside EPIII .

2 Likes

Hmm. Absolutely refuse to believe that even most episodes are rewarding to sit through. What I’ve seen was fine but still a kids’ cartoon in terms of ambition.

I mean I get the whole thing of great shows having standout sections that can reward. Like if you enjoy Captain America: The Winter Soldier then the pay off in the final eps of Agents of SHIELD S1 is very great…is it worth the dross of the opening 12? (Not really.)

fair enough, it’s defo one of those things that gets better as it goes on. i’d totally recommend

this too, the final season of clone wars fucking rules so hard

3 Likes

The Clone Wars has ambition beyond the scope of the movies tbh.
It really explores the universe/the Force/Anakins place as ‘the chosen one’/the Sith/Nightsisters/the horror of war and who is ‘right’/the Mandalorians/Obi Wans backstory.
Just great stuff tbh

2 Likes

I do remember prior to The Final Season there was a clever graphic published outlining the key few eps from each season to watch, although never got round to checking it out.

1 Like

like, there’s some real low points (basically any episode with younglings or droids) but the high points are really great. also recommend rebels afterwards, another one that gets better as it goes on, the more annoying characters get less annoying, ahsoka is in it more. resistance is one for nerds only i think (the first series is the best, but also the least star wars-y)

1 Like

I can find some perverse enjoyment in the prequels but I sat through 3 seasons of the Clone Wars in lockdown 1 and never liked it at all.

1 Like

lol forgot bad batch even existed

Big fan of the ‘Yoda investiagtes the Sith’ arc too.
And the Mortis stuff is great.

1 Like

1 Like

Rebels is class tbf
Big fan of its incorporating threads and characters from Clone Wars.
The Vader and Ahsoka fight was brilliant.
Good to see the stuff from these series continue on into the new D+ animation and live action.
One of the coolest bits in the first Bad Batch ep was Kaanan being the padawan they help escape!

2 Likes

Still a lot of eps. Sadly too many for me to have time for if my daughter doesn’t get stuck in, which she didn’t for this or for Rebels