Rolling Star Wars Thread

Trying to work out what my favourite line is in that, but I think it’s

“The city’s central computer told you?!? R2-D2, you know better than to trust a strange computer.”

I remember loads of people complaining about the quipping in The Last Jedi, to which I would present: almost every line C-3PO has in that film.

3 Likes

My favourite is Yoda doing the mocking “awww you cannot get your ship out” to Luke

2 Likes

Yoda beating RD-D2 with a branch over a flashlight? Now that’s comedy.

3 Likes

I’m glad we got TROS.

1 Like

Just watched Rogue One again. Probably the 3rd time I’ve seen it and if anything, it gets better each time?

What’s probably helped is watching 7-9 in the interim and coming back to R1. I can’t pin down why it works, but various reasons.

-Only has nods to the larger franchise. Connects to the start of IV, but doesn’t litter Easter Eggs everywhere so you spend your time recognising them.
-Pacing is great, every part works for the story. At parts in the final trilogy you wondered why time was being wasted or padded out.
-It feels like an old fashioned war film/thriller that is just set in space. Even down to the fella below, he could be from RAF in the 40s. There are shades of grey, moral questions, about doing wrong for the greater good and make it more of a nuanced noirish kind of vibe. (I remember even when it was being made Gareth Edwards described it as a war film I think)
-Good acting from all concerned. Felicity Jones seeing the hologram or her dad does proper ugly crying, not just a bit weepy and staged. A genuinely emotional moment.
-Action/set pieces don’t let it down either.

Only minus I would say are the uncanny valley moments from Cushing and Fisher. Can’t be avoided, but you just can’t help notice them.

Edit: In summary, I think the key is connected to, but not constrained by the SW universe.

8 Likes

There’s tonnes of ‘easter eggs’ pertaining to the larger franchise. This is not a bad thing IMHO - doesn’t make a film better or worse when standing on it’s own two feet.

1 Like

Yes, sorry. I kind of meant, there were easter eggs, but it didn’t do what IV was doing and almost recreate scenes that we all know and love from the universe. And as lovely as it was to have TFA restarting the films, it’s arc was just IV all over again.

Yeah no worries - wasn’t saying your opinion wasn’t valid. just that everything that’s set between TPM and ROTJ will be connected, however minutely, to the Skywalker/Palpatine/Empire and Rebels arc.

Agreed - TFA is fine but sadly it is just a rip off of ANH, so it’s watchable but starting the sequel trilogy so ‘safely’ is perhaps the biggest disappointment of the three films.

2 Likes

Bad Batch series 2 coming next month!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Was on Disney+ this evening and noticed they had Star Wars Timeline Order and Solo was before Obi-Wan which just seems wrong.

There’s only about a year in it

Don’t think I’d realised Han is canonically 13 years older than Luke and Leia

1 Like

Switching my Padme/Anakin is problematic Tumblr profile to a Han/Leia is problematic one.

9 Likes

Depends on how long an Alderaan year is compared to a Corellian year. They could still be the same age

5 Likes

save it for the judge!

5 Likes

This is star wars content I am here for

2 Likes

12 Likes

:raised_hands:

bonus full kit wanker

12 Likes

Briefly thought you were watching on your phone as Marty Scorsese would want.

4 Likes