Rolling thread for when the Brits are at it again

Don’t really want to clog up politics or social media threads with this stuff as it might be unwelcome, but there’s so much of it I feel like there should be a thread.

Hopefully goes without saying that no offence is intended towards the fine upstanding Brits of DiS.

14 Likes

This cursed image to get us started:

20 Likes

21 Likes

I thought Brits are at it again was an Irish-centric thing. And that Welsh one is surely more English are at it again? Which is a thing, but different, right? Well, the thing is, but as far as I know, the phrase isn’t. As in, English knobbery re: Wales or Scotland isn’t really the same as English and/or British knobbery re: Ireland(/NI). Are you sure you want to cross the streams on this one?

1 Like

give us hell smics

there’s a bit in this podcast about how english/british people conceptualise themselves in relation to empire and history and stuff that I haven’t heard summed up as well before.

1 Like

‘the brits’ really means ‘the english’ by and large in the context of this phrase i think, and anyway they’re usually the same type of english people who subscribe to the unconscious notion that britain = england really (see my previous post for example)

i’m quite happy to cross the streams here, obviously the majority of posts here are going to be fairly ireland centric but i’d expect that to get tedious for a lot of people so the thread is very much open to the english being at it towards the scottish and welsh too.

also during the world cup that same attitude was very much being directed at the irish too.

6 Likes

Fair dues. :+1:

Haven’t listened to tricknip’s link yet, but seeing as the post mentions

I guess

needn’t stop there, and also extends outwards with a global reach?

Terribly sorry about this, old bean. Realise I’m clogging up the street of this thread with the red tape of rules and regs. But it’s only cos I’ve got your best interests at heart. :wink: Toodlepip for now!

1 Like

Liking for the first paragraph only.

4 Likes

As a foreigner (who has lived in both Wales and England) I can definitely contribute to the thread in this regard at some point.

Good thread, Smics.

2 Likes
2 Likes
15 Likes

Sure they’re never not at it

12 Likes

I see what you did there.

Tried about ten redrafts to try and avoid it. Failed. So be it.

1 Like

Anyone on Twitter with FBPE as a hashtag can usually be relied upon to say something stupid.

4 Likes

9 Likes

the main event

do’s.

DO’S

FOR

ABOUT!!!

6 Likes

You may think it’s not that (nnnnnnngh) big of a deal, and that I care a lot, but I could care less, though it’s true: I’m excited about your fair dues being due to yous if you don’t do fair do’s cos fair do’s dudes are due a doing.

1 Like

19 Likes

is this a joke? is it possible to be as immune to irony as this?

1 Like