Rolling thread for when the Brits are at it again

Odd thing to wear (well, anyway) to a tournament where British nations will be playing each other

5 Likes

I admire your optimism jords

3 Likes

I already put this in the Brexit thread, but hey, it can go here as well. Fuck off you second-home owning Tory shitehawks, you’re making us all look shitty over here and continuing to kill the people whose home this nation is. Fucking ex-lawyers living in Powys voting to fuck over the people of the Valleys and the farming communities. Arrrrrggghh

(ETA - and yes, I am an incomer, but I’ve lived here for nearly 15 years, sent my kid to a Welsh-language nursery and stand with the people of this country.)

9 Likes

:warning: CAUTION

English people living in Wales tilted it towards Brexit, research finds

Does it? Because that Graun summary doesn’t clearly present evidence that that’s the case.

About 21% (650,000) of people living in Wales were born in England, with nearly a quarter aged over 65. The country voted for Brexit by a majority of just 82,000.

^That’s just some numbers, and subsequent paragraphs don’t give any further clarify.

Also,

genuinely Welsh areas

What’s one of them? Hella dodgy phrase if you ask me. Would a part of Boston, Lincs with a high Polish population not be genuinely English (or British)?

I’ve seen articles like these about the Scottish referendum. They’re poison. Catchy headline, sketchy justifications, searching for a scapegoat.

Would be tempting to offer a correction and say that old people are to blame. But in results as finely balanced as those in the 2014 and 2016 referendums, it ain’t that simple.

3 Likes

Yeah, I will admit to a certain amount of bias (i.e. a lot of bias) in that I was dismayed when the referendum results came out and I saw the national result. However, I do find it an interesting correlation. You are right about the idea of ‘genuinely Welsh areas’, and there are definitely anecdata suggesting people in, for example, the Valleys voted leave in the same way as other deprived regions voted leave - disenfranchised, angry, and seeking a way to kick back.

However, it is nice to see an article that doesn’t just paint Wales as a leave-voting backwater, and suggests perhaps a tie to a broader UK trend (that of well-to-do English over-65s activating their hate glands). Not in any way suggesting that there aren’t insular, racist old and young Welsh folks, the referendum result was surprising given the amount which Wales as a country had to lose from leaving the EU.

Also, I think the point about the numbers that you made is actually quite interesting, in that it shows exactly how slim that majority is in Wales, and rebuffs the idea that it’s a nation full of leavers. These parts are important, because it’s very easy to scapegoat by region when, as we know, it’s not geographical lines on which these distinctions are drawn. While it may seem minor, I think that it’s important for this data to be known and talked about because it helps focus the discussion better. Wales isn’t a ‘leave-voting region.’ There are leave-voting demographics, however.

Tl;dr yeah, I’m biased because I’m tired of people calling Wales out as backward, insular, and having a hankering to return the country to the dark ages.

(ETA - that’s probably going to be horribly written, hope you can pull some sense out of it)

5 Likes

Anti-Brits anti-bants:

https://twitter.com/bencoates1/status/1176750116474163201

30 Likes

:grinning::grinning: My favourite thing on Twitter in a while.

https://twitter.com/gathara/status/1176646250726342656

13 Likes

Sky sports commentator on Irish footballer Caoimhín Kelleher

13 Likes

At the (constant) risk of being at it again, it’s not a name I’ve ever heard before… I’m gonna go for:

Kay-Vín (if it’s not just an Irish spelling of Kevin)

WiFi code tho wtf why say that

Quee-veen, it’s the Irish for Kevin. Yeah I know, utterly bizarre thing to say.

2 Likes

Very much enjoying @kenyanpundit’s repetition of the term “Britishian”.

7 Likes

Just read one where they refer to “Leave warlord Rees-Mogg” and it’s done me.

13 Likes

In the north we pronounce it Keeva.

4 Likes

Just reading about the destruction of documents at the end of the Empire. Anything that might make the British look bad.

The fucking neck on these people.

1 Like

2 Likes

That’s what to do, aye.

6 Likes

Yikes

https://twitter.com/Dale_Pankhurst/status/1177177232755834881?s=20

1 Like

Tbf sinn fein had a ‘brits out’ slogan on their stall. It’s just despiration

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/WeVotedToLeave/status/1179155990253572096

10 Likes