Rolling Wrestling Thread

Just dropping this here as an example of how delightful it can be (lots of full episodes on their youtube channel here btw):

it’s all about the game and how you play it :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

For sure, although Raw and Smackdown are at 20 year lows in terms of ratings these days anyway aren’t they? The Network has probably stabilised the company’s financials as well, which I suspect has made investors less nervous about losing VKM.

1 Like

Viewership is down across the board, but they still frequently produce some of the highest rated shows of the week.

Watched the Corporate Rumble the other day.

Mr McMahon thinking hes won, ripping his shirt open and then Chyna coming out is one of the most underrated WWE moments

3 Likes

tbh inverstors are probably glad VKM’s fucking off

Yeah, what I mean is in terms of financials, lower viewing figures are going to mean the next deal is going to be less attractive for usa/cbs/whoever, so probably less money for the rights to Raw/Smackdown. The Network both in terms of getting what’s basically free money for the archives and forcing themselves to diversify their content is one of the smartest things I think they’ve done from a business point of view - and that I think is probably reflected in their share price etc, even though on the face of it investors should be a bit nervous about change.

also rumours are it’s Fox who are sniffing around new TV deal which would inevitably bring in a lot of money too

Anyone checked out the Schiavone podcast yet? Same co-host and format as the Prichard podcast but with the focus on NWA/WCW. Hearing the voice of Nitro dropping F bombs left, right and centre is surreal.

HOT DOG! WE HAVE A WEINER

1 Like

ho boy

Speaking of Jimmy Havoc I need to listen to How2JimmyHavoc

https://soundcloud.com/how2wrestling/how2jimmyhavoc

1 Like

Really love his character arc from cliche goth Raven rip off to serial underdog, he’s like Britain’s Necro Butcher

1 Like

He’s a proper bastard heel at the moment, it’s fantastic

1 Like

WHAT when did that come out?!

Yesterday I think

1 Like

ah cool, don’t know a lot about the guy so I’m very much going to be Jo listening to this episode

Yeah it’s great. Only listened to three or four but become a big fan of schiavone. Great line in self depreciating humour

Just watched this. Absolutely solid. One of those PPVs that sets the tone with a big match first and maintains a solid stream of 7/10 and 8/10 matches with main eventers and top mid-carders throughout.

One of my favourite things in wrestling is unpatriotic gimmicks. Slaughter teaming up with the Iron Sheikh was textbook. The Un-Americans are new to me, but i like them. This was months after 9/11 don’t forget. Can easily imagine Vinny Mac coming up with that idea on about…September 13th.

2 Likes

I think the idea was for it to be sort of like a new Hart Foundation, but apparently Vince got fixated with Test cutting his hair like Lance Storm… who didn’t want to… and then yeah the writers ran with slightly edgelord America in Distress!!!1! stuff
Bear in mind this is about a month and a half before Katie Vick.

1 Like