Rolling Wrestling Thread

He’s improving but I still reckon “solid” is a stretch, I know he suffered from a concussion during but his main event with Cena is undoubtedly the worst WM main event ever (though last year’s gave it a decent run for its money).
It depends really, being believable goes a long way. People sort of want to see him get his arse handed to him but on the other hand twenty minutes of it is sort of terrible. Honestly think he’ll be better suited to managing/commentating/GM’ing, which is where he’ll be in five years.

Worst WM main event ever? I think you’re forgetting Bam Bam Bigelow vs Lawrence Taylor. Bret Hart Vs Yokozuna and Sgt Slaughter vs Hulk Hogan

But yeah hes much better as a character and in ring than he was back then. His matches with Ziggler last year were outstanding.

2 Likes

You leave Slaughter out of this!
I see what you mean in terms of athleticism but I think the difference in a lot of working terms is negligible tbh, and in terms of investment it was basically null.
I haven’t seen those Ziggler matches in fairness but they are held in high esteem… though it doesn’t seemed to have done either of them any good unfortunately.

Out of curiosity did you catch any of The Miz’s IC Title run? He elevated that belt a shit ton during his run with it, also his scathing promos on Daniel Bryan or just general performance on Smackdown recently? Because he’s been on fire since the brand split and is widely regarded as one of the most improved in the WWE as a result. Although his showing in the rumble and to a degree, the chamber was a little lackluster.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve seen the worked shoot, that was good, and I don’t doubt he’s a draw to see him get his ass kicked - but imho it’d be better suited to a good manager bump rather than a ppv match. But yeah missed a lot of his in-ring stuff because I’m such a smark these days I really just watch British stuff with a sprinkling of ROH/NJPW. And I don’t mean to go all #campaignforrealwrestling on it but going back to watching The Miz now, he still won’t look like a good worker to me, I just know it. But his mic work’s fantastic.

miz obvs isn’t the best in ring and never will be but I don’t think it’s a stretch to call him solid. that mania match was 7 years ago, he’s improved a lot since then. genuinely think he was involved in more good matches last year than ambrose, whose work seemed to fall off a cliff after that hhh match at roadblock.

did anyone watch the njpw show at the weekend btw? the ospreay-shibata and takahash-dragon lee matches are both well worth seeking out if you’ve not seen them

Yeah they were both ace, but fuck me, how quality is Naito!
Ospreay then went and worked two great matches in as many hours the next day in Milton Keynes too, he’s a real jewel of British wrestling atm. His character work in WCPW is stellar too, I think he realises he’s going too fast right now and needs to work a bit less but if he continues at this pace he’ll be one of the best in the world in a few years. Going against such a straight shooter like Shibata really shows his flexibility too.
<3 Shibata though

naito might be my favourite wrestler in the world right now, he’s so good. love the gimmick of making his opponents wait for ages as he changes out of a full suit.

ospreay is incredible. comes across as a bit of a dick on twitter with his constant marking out for himself, but goddamn is he good. don’t really watch any britwres stuff apart from the odd bit of rev:pro, really should change that as there’s so much talent over here now.

shibata is da gawd although I can do without those headbutts tbh. that gif doesn’t do it justice really, the sound of it was legit disgusting.

Not sure if you saw any of the WWE British tournament but it had a large amount of the standout guys (minus Ospreay and Marty Scurll obviously) - Omega and the Young Bucks are actually booked against Pete Dunne, Trent Severn and Tyler Bates here in April, if it wasn’t up in Wolverhampton I’d probably be all over that shit.

yeah, the later rounds were very good, mandrews vs dunne in particular was a great match. looking forward to dunne bodying tye dillinger or whoever on nxt sometime in the near future.

Both George The Animal Steele and Nicole Bass have died

when she debuted I thought she were called The Cold Bath

The Festival of Friendship is one of the best segments I’ve seen in years.

2 Likes

Stating the obvious, but the amount of wrestlers who die before reaching sixty’s obscene. There surely can’t be another entertainment profession with such a low average mortality age. Those complicit to the steriod intake of wrestlers particularly have a huge amount to answer for.

ddp is going in the hall of fame

that’s one of my all time favourite pops. the fake la parka vs savage one is fucking great too. utter hero

2 Likes

VERY happy about this, him and Angle what a class! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Would be thoroughly deserved for his contributions outside the ring but when combined with his career makes him a first class choice.
Far, far more charismatic than most gave him credit for, great finisher (that was truly unpredictable), fantastic feuds with Randy Savage, Goldberg and Raven - and even his run with Christian was fun in WWE, also a white hot world champ at a time it mattered. And that Nirvana rip off theme!!

3 Likes

@Severed799 & @TKC think that theme is crap smdh

but yeah he was awesome. the whole people’s champion run was so fucking good

1 Like

Still think i prefer Kanyon Cutter out if nowhere

1 Like

Nah the ddp version is way better