Ross from friends

Is really fucking terrible, isn’t he? Rewatching friends for the first time in my 30s and the toxicity that I didn’t notice much in the show 15/20 years ago is far more apparent now, but Ross is the real eye opener, used to think he was a nice person :nauseated_face:

15 Likes

Agreed. Also in retrospect “we were on a break” is a really shit excuse

1 Like

So far in the few season 5 episodes:
-the rage
-insulting janice for being whiny while blind to his own whininess
-the sharp, cold way he told rachel to tell the couch sale guy that they dated, and that they had sex 298 times
-making fun of everyone in sexist, fatphobic, homophobic ways (they all do tbh)

Probably more

5 Likes

He’s ok. I went to one of his live shows which was a moment where i really questioned the life choices I had made to that point.

17 Likes

Yeah the homophobic stuff is bizarrely normalised, like all Chandler does is worry about seeming camp.

3 Likes

PIVOT!

2 Likes

could he be any more horrible

probably

3 Likes

why does Ross, the largest friend, simply not

16 Likes

Think he needs to

tenor

2 Likes

He’s a source of ridicule for the most part. Leather Pants Ross, Keyboard Ross, Pivot Ross, Sangria Ross, Red Ross… all gold. David Schwimmer was the best comedic actor on the show. Most entertaining character easily.

2 Likes

It’s one of those things where I go ‘oof in hindsight yeah, fuck that guy.’

But then I watch How I Met Your Mother - wherein you’re asked to root for an incel and a rapist - and realise that on balance Ross is merely ‘a shit man’ as opposed to ‘shit on my shoe’

6 Likes

The homophobic stuff is extraordinary isn’t it? It’s a running joke. The audience absolutely cackles. It’s fucking abhorrent

7 Likes

I think when you take this show and Buffy together you really notice how much society has actually progressed despite all the terrible shit. I mean I don’t think there was any overt homophobia in Buffy (fridging your gays aside) but I just mean how relentlessly terrible Xander’s character is despite being one of the leads etc.

So yeah it’s really sad to note these things but I also take hope every time I see something like this and know that if you tried the same thing today we would see it for what it was.

I think thats the thing, they want us to feel bad for him but he’s a narcissistic character who’s actually just mean and very selfish

1 Like

my fajitas

4 Likes

Still deserves a sandwich though

2 Likes
9 Likes

Coincidentally also doing a rewatch for the first time in my 30s currently (B has never seen all of it).

Lots of correct takes in this thread already.

• he’s easily the worst character by season 5. Although Joey deserves a mention for being a borderline pest too.
  • Chandler is extremely annoying throughout.
  • Quite enjoyed Monica’s character for the first few seasons but she seems to suffer from an early Flanderization unfortunately.
  • Schwimmer is a fantastic comedic actor but Anniston is underrated. She’s fucking brilliant in the whole thing.
  • With a little thought, all of the characters could actually be written to be better people while still being funny.
  • Every flashback or what if this happened scene is dreadful
  • Things really start to go rapidly downhill from season 6. (Arguably in season 5 but there’s still some fun moments there).
  • The opinions of my teenage self (when I first watched Friends) are simply not to be trusted. I used to love Ross and hated Rachel and Phoebe

Have basically given up on it by season 6 as it’s mostly terrible and played out.

6 Likes

They were the original Black Country, New Road in a way

15 Likes

Maybe the real black country, new road was the friends we watched along the way

11 Likes