RRRNature ... CD swap v9

@woweezowee your mix arrived today, tracklisting looks interesting so I’m looking forward to giving it a spin.

i still owe @funkycow a listen and some feedback for his which i’ll also get onto soon!

and i finally got my own mixes in the post today, sorry for the delay @shucks, @bornin69x and @Prob500 - sent them first class so you should have them for the weekend!

storms out of thread

i’m a big fan but don’t think i made a playlist for them, JaguarPirate made this one though

gonna have to be a purist and disagree with @LastAstronaut a bit because although I quite like the polished late 90s/early 00s stuff, it doesn’t hold a candle to 90s lo-fi GBV for me. I would say the ultimate GBV album is Bee Thousand, it’s lo-fi GBV at their most essential and complete. Alien Lanes and Propeller are other early-ish lo-fi classics that are worth checking out if you enjoy that

or for a sort of midpoint between the lo-fi and hi-fi stuff there’s Under the Bushes Under the Stars from 1996, where they started using a studio instead of home recording but kept it pretty simple and not too glossy (with Kim Deal as one of the producers!)

Also this shorter one since i was bullied into it

100% agree with this

Just got this today - looking forward to giving a listen.

@woweezowee thanks your disc arrived yesterday, looks good. I’ll feedback after I’ve listened to it.

And minutes after I posted that yours dropped through my door too - thanks @Icarus-Smicarus That’s my car listening sorted for the next week.

Yeah, rest assured you did a great job! Thanks for the extra info – I can see myself hoovering up the Forest Swords back catalogue in the coming months & will certainly be hunting down Pinback and Hand Habits too.

I’ll take a look at the Built to Spill thread and give em a second chance maybe – I do love all the bands that they get referenced alongside, so hopefully there’s something in there for me somewhere. Same with FKA Twigs – get the feeling I’ll need to be in the right mood for her stuff. Thanks again man!

Glad my mix arrived safely - apologies for its lateness. I had to buy everything again too as I couldn’t find my mixtape kit - the shop only had CD-RWs in stock, so hopefully they’ll play ok on people’s systems. At least if you really hate the mix, you can repurpose the disc.

Ha. You have to remember they’re a very DiS band and I only came to DiS towards the end of the old forum. I wasn’t really familiar with them prior to that and their back catalogue with all of the related spinoffs looks pretty intimidating.

I’m willing to buy one of their records though and give them a proper go though to see if they click in full album form.

I’m a typical music snob so usually give greatest hits compilations a wide berth, but in McLusky’s case I think there is a good case for startng with McLuskyism (their best-of) which is a superbly structured all-killer no-filler comp of their ‘hits’.

(but if you can’t face starting with a greatest hits … Do Dallas is almost certainly the place to start)

Great, thanks Prob. I was thinking of starting with …Do Dallas as I’m a bit funny about greatest hits compilations too. If I like it and want to work my way through their back catalogue, it’ll knock me too much off kilter to already know a few songs off each of their records and hear them all our sync.

there’s only 3 Mclusky albums anyway and i wouldn’t really bother with the debut unless you find yourself hooked on the others.

i’d second Mclusky Do Dallas as a starting point, endlessly catchy riffs, hilarious lyrics and consistently great. my favourite is The Difference Between Me & You… which is dirtier and nastier but not as immediate.

then of course you’ve got all the FOTL and Christian Fitness records…

@LastAstronaut, @trev, @maggieloveshopey - your mixes are in the post. Sorry for the unforgivably long delay. Just got caught up with other things.

Everyone else seems to have chosen the nature theme but I was a bit uninspired by that and have taken the first two Rs of RRR to do a mix about reading, writing, books and writers. I’m sure none of the literary references will pass you by, but if they do I’ll be happy to help!

Excellent, sounds like a good plan of attack. Thanks for the tips.

Your CD arrived today, looks interesting, not sure I will get all the literary references (unless there are a load of sci-fi references :slightly_smiling_face:) but will give it a listen at the weekend and report back.

There’s a bit of sci-fi (Logan’s Run). I did think of including a guide to the references but thought it might seem a bit pretentious/patronising- let me know if any are particularly puzzling.

Just arrived today & looks great.
Lots of stuff that I know & love already (this tends to happen when we get paired, but that’s not a bad thing, it’s nice to revisit some favourites that I’ve not heard in some time… Karen by the Go Betweens for one.
Looking forward to spending some time with it over the next week.

I want a tiger on bended knees/with all the kindness of the Japanese

Hi @shucks, some feedback on your excellent mix. I have to say through all these swaps I’ve wanted to receive one of your mixes, it’s always felt like yours and my tastes lie in a similar direction so I was excited to get one finally, and it didn’t disappoint!

I had it in the car on my trip down to Cornwall the other week so it got a few listens while blasting around narrow lanes with the top down which worked very nicely!

I already knew and loved a couple of your choices, can’t go wrong with RFTC and that track is an absolute belter (aren’t they all though?), love Jurassic 5 and Concrete Schoolyard was a great choice of track, of course Clutch are brilliant and that Black Moth number is a tune!

Everything else was new to me, I was aware of The Atomic Bitchwax being a long time Monster Magnet fan but have never really investigated them for some reason. I will need to rectify that, any tips?

Other tracks I particularly enjoyed were Billy the Kid, Muncie Girls, Carpenter Brut and Scattle (nice 80s new wave vibes with these last two, Flock of Seagulls meets The Bravery!) who I will try to investigate further, but I think the best discovery was Riddle of Steel, totally loved this track, not heard of them before but looking at their bandcamp page I see they contain members of Torche and Russian Circles. I will definitely be listening to more of these guys!

The only track I didn’t really get on with was the Zombi track, I was quite enjoying its kitsch 70s film score feel initially but my word doesn’t it go on, and on. I’m afraid this got skipped on subsequent listens. The pop punk genre is not one of my favourites so the tracks by The Menzingers and Gameface were a bit so so for me, but still a nice dose of fun.

All in all probably the most enjoyable mix I’ve received in the swaps I’ve been involved in, and no doubt the one that will get the most replays! Ok, that’s enough smoke blown up your arse for now so I’ll sign off. Thanks matey! :grinning: