Running music

So I’ve been doing couch to 5k to get my fat arse outside more. Need some recommendations for good running albums/bands/mixes…so far what has worked best is:

A.A.L. - 2017 -2019 (previous one didn’t do it for me)

Anything rythmic, layered, interesting details, melodic etc that anyone could suggest wpuld be great!!

I just usually listen to Future of the Left. Could try that LCD Soundsystem running album?

2 Likes

This probably isn’t very helpful, but Siva, Hello Kitty Kat, and Fuck You are probably the three best running songs ever. You can pretty much make a playlist of all fast Corgan songs and you’ll be sprinting down the street shooting lasers out of your eyes.

1 Like

Have you heard The Bedlam in Goliath by The Mars Volta? It’s a strong candidate for best non-Corgan running album. It’s insane and all of the tempo changes and twists really push you past what you think you can do.

Metatron:

Goliath (the second half of this one is out of control and perfect for running):

1 Like

Used to run a lot to various tracks from David Comes to Life, Relationship of Command, both Million Dead albums, uptempo Ash songs and lots of nu metal

Essentially dudes shouting interspersed with moments of levity

2 Likes

This is my playlist, I also run 5k so it’s ordered into 25-30 min chunks in particular genres, so there’s a blackgaze metal section followed by a techno section :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Silversun Pickups are a great running band too, especially that Future Foe Scenarios - Waste It On - Lazy Eye stretch of Carnavas. Future Foe Scenarios is basically built for running, I love how that song is put together.

Ta lads, will try a few of these…

2 Likes

also

I normally just have a load of banging and shouting, pretty much exclusively punk and metal. I also always keep it on random, just to make it a bit more exciting when I don’t know what’s coming next. It’s great if you’re flagging a wee bit and then Ace Of Spades comes on and kicks you up the arse.

This is a very good song for making you be running faster at the end of it than you were when it began

2 Likes

For me, this is one of the best running songs of the past few years

2 Likes

this is beautiful for late night or scenic runs, full zone-out

love to put on any r&b / pop / rap / k-pop with a bop in it for my usual runs

sometimes whack this on for the final k to make me feel like godzilla

1 Like

I listen to a lot of different stuff but deafheaven can be great in the gym. Try not going like fucking mad to that. If you start with the latest one you can even get a gentle build up with the first song. Also - because most tracks are like ten mins long you’ve got a lot further than you think by the time one’s ending.

1 Like

Done loads of 10kms to this recently, so much nostalgia!

2 Likes

It’s not running, but the vast majority of my indoor cycling is done to Iron Maiden playing ridiculously loudly in the background - Live After Death and Rock In Rio are current favourites due to the career-spanning setlists and sheer length of each album. If I’m not in a Maiden mood, The Wildhearts are usually my second choice - Earth vs. The Wildhearts, Fishing For Luckies and P.H.U.Q. are all grade A exercising bangers in my world :smiley: Underworld and Kraftwerk are others I turn to if I’m looking for metronomic precision…

2 Likes

If I’m going for a fast run I’ll put on Master of Puppets. PBs all over the place

4 Likes

Orbital are another favourite of mine - The Brown Album or In Sides in particular

2 Likes

Oh, and I mustn’t forget Fuck Buttons’ Tarot Sport, which features the greatest ever exercising track™:

6 Likes

Oh fuck yes.